Re: Please Read and Respond--Combining Forums

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Not the right thread for this but if I start a new thread I'll be doing what I said I won't :D

When I found this forum by accident not too long ago it looked very interesting to me and much of what I read looked sympathetic, including the Rules & Regulations.Not only could I learn new "tricks" but I know quite a bit about a couple of areas that could prove useful to some.

In a forum where like minds meet (in this case hobby machinists, and most who probably have a background within engineering) then, in my opinion, it is the perfect place to discuss, give advice and share opinions. In real life there are two types,those that don't agree but prefer to keep their opinions to themselves, and those that disagree and say why. In my long life I've always appreciated being told if someone doesn't agree with me, provided a reason is given.

I must admit that the reaction by several to the now locked thread "Tool Height" really surprised me. What I found to be an interesting discussion certainly wasn't the view shared by several. What I find most disturbing (and I've included what I consider the relevant posts to back up my "theory") is the fact that some very personal remarks get "hidden" as general remarks that could apply to all but in fact are directed at individuals. If someone disagrees with something someone has written they should at least have the guts to put a name on the "suspect" so "we" aren't left in the dark.

Anyway, I'm not going to do the same as sssfox and refrain for a while but I'll stick to not starting new threads or commenting on what others write. I'm not slamming any doors and if anyone has any questions I feel I can answer I'll do so. I'll settle for giving an answer and not expressing an opinion. There are some very sensitive people in here.

Tony Wells
The flavor of this thread has changed from one where ideas are shared and discussed to one where opinions about other people's choices are the focus. No one says we all must agree on what is permissible in our own shops. So there is no point even bringing our opinion tothe table of it takes away the harmony of the group. We all like the freedom to express ourselves, and should be able to express our opinion, but not at the expense of insulting another, or acting in a condescending manner towards other members.

nctox
I don't want to expound on my feelings about this thread, because it would be impolite to say what I think. I will say that I understand and agree with sssfox's response, and hope that he does come back.

side note: if that is you being too polite to say what you think I'd love to read something by you when you're being blunt :D

GordonClarke
I hope your post (or mine) doesn't/don't getdeleted or the thread locked. It is healthy to have differences of opinional though I don't remember writing that mine was right As long as it's legal you can just about do anything you want.

sssfox
I think I'm going to leave the forum for awhile.
There are a great many nice people here, but it only takes one bad apple to spoil it for me.

I'll be back around the middle of April, maybe things will be better by then.

Gordon again:
I also find it surprising that in a country fighting around the world to help bring about democracy, the much acclaimed "Freedom of speech" does seem to mean something different to so many. Personally I learn more from those that disagree with me and give reasons than by those slapping me on the back and telling me what a great guy I am. Don't get me wrong, I like getting praise, I just don't learn much from it.

I'm wondering now if this post will get deleted.

Gordon:

Not deleted, but moved to the Members Hangout where it better fits.

Since I founded this place, let me explain what I was thinking when I did, and then I will go back to working to fix up my own small home basement shop, and let you guys work this out for yourselves.

I started this place to offer a more civil alternative to what I had gotten elsewhere.
Not to belabor or rehash history, but do a search on PM for Nelson or Allthumbz and you will see the way I was treated by members, a moderator (Paula) and the owner (Don) as a wannabe hobby-machinist on that forum several years back. Do the same on HSM, including this past February, and you will see cyber-bullying by members and joined in by George *******p. It isn't pretty, and all it made me want to do was fold my tent, sell my machines, and move on. Instead, in response to the abuse, I started this place a year and a half ago, and we keep it going for guys who want to learn, have fun, and have some online conradery. I started the Yahoo SouthBend Heavy 10 forum too, for the same reason, some years ago, then gave it to Jim B. to own and run. So people could learn, without being abused and spat on for not knowing.

I decided not to get mad, but to get even, by trying to make this place a success. I let people know about this place, often right on those other forums, to the chagrin of the cyber-bullies and their mentors, the owners and moderators of those forums. They figured they could act despicably with impunity, but life doesn't work that way, of course. You mess with the bull, you get the horns. You use your forum as a weapon, others may use it to promote theirs, or for its positive content by borrowing it for fair-use in educating others. 'Nuff said. Actions have consequences.

The idea of this place is that people can be wrong without being idiots, people can disagree without anger, hostility, grudgeholding and all the things I experienced. Criticism can be delivered without a brick to the head. Free speech doesn't mean yelling "fire" in a crowded movie theatre, and it doesn't mean saying whatever you want when it causes others pain.

All this is a hobby for me. It arose out of my hobby collecting antique clocks, wanting to make parts for them, so that I could restore them to working order. All the rest is pure BS. No one finds a hobby enjoyable where they get told they are a stupid jerk by people over the internet. That is pointless.

You have a lot to offer in terms of educating others, Gordon. How you do that is up to you.

Back to that pigsty shop of mine- electrician is coming tonight to quote me on 200 amps...

:tiphat: Nelson

I think your forum seems to have the same kind of "groupies" that PM has in the sense that there is a group that sticks very much together right or wrong.

It can't be easy runing a forum like yours but if I was offereing any advice then it'd be to make it what you want it to be and never give in to pressure unless you agree with it.

Let's hope you just get quoted on 200 amps and not given them :D Too late (or early) for you to be a Christmas tree.

Gordon!

Ouch! This place like PM? Now, that REALLY hurts. :faint:

There is no clique here. People tell each other, Tony, moderators and me, if they think we have screwed up.
No one molly-coddles anyone on here. We ASK for criticism. And changes are made in response to it.
In the past year alone> we have new software (VBulletin)> allow donations> had a change of admins> went to fewer forums (fora)
We have had a LOT of feedback for these decisions, some not so positive.
I lost a friend on here for a decision we made tp combine forums. That hurt.

I don't run this forum anymore. We have admins, moderators, and members that run it and make it what it is.
I change a few colors on the menus, make backups, try to fix coding errors. That's it. I do a poor-enough job of that.

More time goes into my own shop these days and less sticking my nose where it doesn't belong here.
Electrician came tonight. Told me my 120 wiring (12/3 MC cable) of the kids' area was perfect. I split the circuits up perfectly with 10 outlets per circuit. He will put in an upgraded 200 arm service, boxes, 3 new 220 lines to unfused disconnects for my machines (unfused is req'd by code) and hook up the 3 outlet and lighting circuits. I'm waiting on the estimate.

Then the sheetrock guys will come in. I do framing, woodworking, rough wiring. I do NOT do sheetrock.
So I need to get some guys in who do.

This place like PM....(still mumbling to myself)...

Nelson

No worries Nelson, this forum is nothing like PM--Thank you for that.

Back