Re-purposing Old Screwdrivers

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I ended up with a bucket full of screwdrivers at an auction early last year.
Odd batch, new items as well as beat up - well used pieces.
Picked out the cherry pieces and still had a bunch left over.
Dale gave me a bunch of files from the auction where the Bridgeport came from back in May,
and I finally figured out what to do with the screwdrivers.
P1080321r.jpg P1080320r.jpg
I chuck up the handle in the lathe, heat the shaft and then, if it's willing tug it out.
A couple of step drill ops, and then finish with the reamer.
Interestingly enough the 'T' handle general type reamer shown, has about the same taper as a file.
I then heat up the tang on the file gently knock the handle on.
So far the 'Hex' style handles have worked out well. 4-sided handles are going to require a chuck change.

Last edited:
Cool idea. I'm always looking for file handles, might just use your idea!

:)

And most of the old screwdriver shanks are probably O-1 tool steel or similar. They could be heated and annealed without too much effort, if you have a need for any such material, of course.

Great idea!

Lacking extra screwdriver handles, dollar store paint scrapers also have pretty good adaptable handles. Just pull the blade out, optionally heat the file's tang, and shove it in. They even have holes in the end for hanging!

After checking prices on file handles on Ebay and some supply stores - for sure.
Terry - I totally forgot about that. I'll save you some of the older ones from the Stanley's and such. :grin:

You don't need to save them for me, Dan, as I've got plenty of drill rod here. I was merely making mention of it because you might want to keep back a few pieces for your own use. Granted, you are trying to get rid of stuff, so maybe I should keep my mouth shut!

You don't need to save them for me, Dan, as I've got plenty of drill rod here. I was merely making mention of it because you might want to keep back a few pieces for your own use. Granted, you are trying to get rid of stuff, so maybe I should keep my mouth shut!
Nope, nada, DON'T do that! It always helps to have input from others. I hadn't even thought of the shanks being tool steel.
So I thank you for pointing that out. I'm going to keep a few back for use later.

I successfully ground an old screwdriver shank into a knife-like cutting tool for shaping/broaching a keyway into an aluminum pulley.

Another old screwdriver modification that I have found very useful: handled socket extensions for 1/4 and 3/8 and " socket drives. You can quickly spin a nut or bolt down and then insert a ratchet to finish torquing.

I bought some cheap screwdrivers and removed the blades as described above. I then bored a through hole and counterbored the end of the handle to receive the socket end of a 5" extension. The extension was then heated just above the melting point of the plastic handle and pressed into place.Socket Extension .JPG

Back