Re-purposing Old Screwdrivers

Old screwdrivers can be reground to make awls, ice picks, and scribes as well. Cut the blade to the desired length and grind, chilling frequently in water to prevent drawing the temper. If you do draw the temper, the blade can be rehardened by heating with a torch to a red-orange (until it loses magnetism) and then quenched. Polish the tip and heat slowly to a dark straw color to temper. If you bend the point into a hook while at a red heat, it will make an excellent cotter key puller.

Another old screwdriver modification that I have found very useful: handled socket extensions for 1/4 and 3/8 and " socket drives. You can quickly spin a nut or bolt down and then insert a ratchet to finish torquing.

I bought some cheap screwdrivers and removed the blades as described above. I then bored a through hole and counterbored the end of the handle to receive the socket end of a 5" extension. The extension was then heated just above the melting point of the plastic handle and pressed into place.
Wowsers!!! I LOVE it!!!!
Best suggestion of the year (so far) ;~) Thanks!

IMG_0734.JPG IMG_0732.JPG When making castings, it is sometimes handy to have an easy way to pull a mold out of green sand. These screwdrivers
got a new lease on life by cutting them off square and silver soldering on some wood screws.
The screw type screwdriver then can screw into a mold and allow CAREFUL removal from the
green sand.

Also lately I repurposed a tree into a wooden finger box to hold my 5C home made collet blocks and accesories. That way all the parts remain together and can be stowed on the shelf until a use arrives. The box was made from a poplar tree, a poor wood as far as dimensional stability is
concerned. Even so with a coat of water based floor varnish, the box turned out fine.
I will use basswood on my next box project as I have lots of basswood trees it and it is very stable when dry.

Last edited:
View attachment 118873 View attachment 118874 When making castings, it is sometimes handy to have an easy way to pull a mold out of green sand. These screwdrivers
got a new lease on life by cutting them off square and silver soldering on some wood screws.
The screw type screwdriver then can screw into a mold and allow CAREFUL removal from the
green sand.

Cathead,

Is this tool your invention? I ask because I picked up a similar tool somewhere, probably an auction, and never knew what its purpose was. I use it for a paper towel holder in the shop.
Unknown Tool .JPG

The pattern extractors I made were from cheap yard sale screwdrivers, but I didn't bother cutting the end off. I just brazed the wood screws in place. Another tool I made, but can't find, is a rapping tool. Just a piece of 3/8 steel strap shaped like a tuning fork. Screw in the extractor to the pattern, and rattle the heck out of it with the rapper. I also usually rap directly on the pattern in areas where I know it's likely to try to tear out. Love foundry work. :)

Cathead,

Is this tool your invention? I ask because I picked up a similar tool somewhere, probably an auction, and never knew what its purpose was. I use it for a paper towel holder in the shop.
View attachment 118877

Pebbleworm has yours figured out I think because it gets continuously wider to start various screw sizes.

Thanks Cathead and thanks Pebbleworm,

It makes sense. I just use a plain awl for starting screws in wood.

Back