re using old files

taycat

Registered
Registered
sorting out stores at work found box of blunt and/or broken files.
can they be re-purposed?
remember seeing something about use as lathe tools for one offs?
how to use them for that is question.
and for other uses.

I've reground the ends into lathe tools both in the tool post and hand held. Mainly for use on aluminium.
I've also made a couple of scrapers for metal scraping and they worked very well for both jobs.
Grind the teeth off, grind to desired shape and hone.

Depends if you have some time on your hands Taycat...

Old files can be used for quite a few things (being made from carbon steel). Scrapers, form tools, burnishers, slotting tools (for the shaper) and small ones can make quite nice small wood chisels. Of course you can buy purpose-made tools for most of these things, often with better materials such as HSS or Carbide - (I used to use carbon scrapers before I got a carbide tipped one). It might also be sensible to heat treat (anneal & re-temper) them for some uses but for some one-off jobs they can be very useful and carbon steel will take a really nice stoned edge with care but you have to be equally careful not to lose it...

It's the usual thing - what do you have more of - time or money? :)

Regards,

IanT

have plenty of time at work everything running well at min.
will crack on with them.

old files are high carbon tool steel. It can be softened, worked to shape, and re-hardened to make any type of cutting or scraping tool. Its only drawback is that it must be kept cool when working, or it will self anneal. The advantage of HSS is that it will run hot at high speeds and keep its hardness.

You mean like this? I call them rasp asp's. A pair of them have been living in my house for more than forty years. We had a blacksmith named Frank Turley do a demo on making them at a blacksmithing workshop and I made a half dozen or so. I gave all but two away as gifts. They have caused a great many double takes from guests. Great fun with cats too.

I start with a farrier's rasp and draw it out to make a snake skin. Then I roll it to make the snake body and finally put some curves in it. The tip of the rasp becomes the head and the tang is the tail. The scales are running the wrong direction but no on actually notices that. The one shown has a forked tongue made from copper wire.Rasp Asp 1.JPG Rasp Asp 2.JPG

If the rasps/files are not too badly worn, they can be sharpened by soaking in hydrochloric (muriatic ) acid. The acid eats the metal fairly evenly resulting in new sharpened edges on old blunted teeth. Some PVC drain/waste/vent pipe with an end cap welded on makes a convenient tank for the process. It should be carried on outside or in well ventilated areas as hydrogen gas and acid fumes are given off in the process. Also, the acid has a taste for human flesh so wear protective clothing, gloves, and eye wear.

If the rasps/files are not too badly worn, they can be sharpened by soaking in hydrochloric (muriatic ) acid. The acid eats the metal fairly evenly resulting in new sharpened edges on old blunted teeth. Some PVC drain/waste/vent pipe with an end cap welded on makes a convenient tank for the process. It should be carried on outside or in well ventilated areas as hydrogen gas and acid fumes are given off in the process. Also, the acid has a taste for human flesh so wear protective clothing, gloves, and eye wear.
Do not store muriatic acid near any machine tool . You won,t like the result.

Back