Ready to order my first mill, trying to make an educated choice

I think INTJ nailed it. I dont have the skills or knowledge to rebuild a machine right now. If it comes time for a future purchase at that time I would be looking bigger and would have those skills.

Reading up on the 932, I dont like reading about the tolerance issues. Guys buying new machines and taking them apart to shim and fix the tolerance issues. What's the point of buying a new machine then?

The 833 seems like a great machine and maybe worth saving a little more for? Will it handle titanium? INTJ, how is the accuracy and backlash? Did you need to disassemble and fix anything?

Really appreciate the open conversation, its helping a lot. Just a little lost on which direction to go right now.

There are two very significant reasons. The first is space and/or he ability to handle a certain sized machine. My driveway is so steep that the only reasonable way to get something into the garage is by putting it in back of a pickup and backing in. We did tow in my 2150 lbs gun safe but doing that was iffy as it was and a really bad idea with a knee mill. A bench mill is much easier to handle.

The second reason is really common sense. When we are new to a task there is much we don’t know. When you have lived long enough you are aware of your lack of knowledge in a new endeavor. This means you don’t know what to look for in used machine equipment. I can look at a rifle, a trumpet, or a vehicle and tell you immediately if it is a good value and useable or repairable. When I bought my lathe and mill I could not make that same evaluation with machine tools.

There is a LOT of old machine tools that are junk. There are a bunch more that would work well IF you know what to look for and know what/how to repair it. If you don’t know that, you will wind up like my friend that has several mills and lathes and most of them are not useable.

Best I can tell a decent condition used Bridgeport runs $5k or more, and I can’t get safety one into my garage, so it would be pointless for me to buy one. Therefore there is no better solution for me that the exact mill and lathe I have now.

What HE said... ;)

A neighbor up in CO started going on at me about how great used machines were and that I was an idiot for buying my 935.

Well, I could actually get the 935 up my steep driveway (with help from friends) and it fit within the space I had available. I also didn't have to replace worn out/broken parts, nor have the machine re-scraped for thousands of dollars. I simple set it up, oiled it, installed the VFD and power drives, and it's been working great ever since. And from a capacity stand-point it's a perfect match to my 1340GT. But then I only build pistols and an occasional AR or M1A and do small hobby stuff. :)

The neighbor who was giving me grief? He bought a used BP, only to find out that it had some serious wear issues and needed various repairs. So he bought another mill to use it as a parts source. Last I heard, neither was working. Whatever.

With regards to the quality vs. size perspective: I learned the hard way to get the highest quality machine I can afford/use, even if it's a bit smaller, instead of going for a cheap(er) made larger machine with a bunch of 'extras'. YMMV.

I just got the 833 setup so I haven’t machined anything yet. It’s movement is smooth and backlash is much less than in the 727. It is also very sturdy. It’s max speed is 1500 rpm and it has a 220v motor. I don’t know much about machining titanium but if needed you could always upgrade the motor.

When talking to Matt at PM about the 940 vs 833 he said he always recommend a Taiwan built machine. The next step up from the 833 is one off the Taiwan built knee mills. I would have got one of those if I had a way to get into my garage. That said, I am not limited by the 833.

They won’t have anymore in stock for a couple of months. I highly recommend calling/e-mailing PM and talking to Matt. He will help you make your decision. BTW, I have not been able to find any other brand of Taiwanese machine that competes with PM feature-wise for the price.

The 833 should handle titanium fine. If you know what you're doing, and stay within the machine's intended work envelope.

I machined my first titanium compensator on a Sherline lathe and mill. Not very easily, but it got done. ;)

SPACE is the answer... to why a smaller mill vs. a bridgeport

Frankly gun smith wise - if you are a pistol guy you want something heavy, but if you are only inletting stocks, meaning - if you aren’t a bench rest smith - you don’t need to true the forearm to buttstock (a good 27-33” travel or more), then you Only need ~20” for a barrelled action inlet job.

SPACE is the answer... to why a smaller mill vs. a bridgeport

Frankly gun smith wise - if you are a pistol guy you want something heavy, but if you are only inletting stocks, meaning - if you aren’t a bench rest smith - you don’t need to true the forearm to buttstock (a good 27-33” travel or more), then you Only need ~20” for a barrelled action inlet job.

Pistolsmithing is not hard on machines. Accuracy is more important than the ability to take a heavy cut IMO. But that's just me. :)

Just for perspective, here is what a long range BR rifle stock looks like in a mill that is too small.

I learned gunsmithing from Gordy Gritters classes... I think I may have seen one of those somewhere :)

IF ... I was going to focus on BR stock’s I would have gotten at table that was more like 49”..

I’m more of a PRS build guy, our Original poster (didn’t mean to steal the thread), was smaller parts so he’s fine.
For PRS, I used to shoot tactical while in the military, now I’m just an accuracy nut... so I have some good DNA for the work.

Back