Ready to purchase a lathe

The coolant pump that is in the machine now is a three phase unit but Eisen was kind enough to throw in a single phase pump that is in a box. I may be way off but I thought the single phase power would go to the vfds R/L1 and S/L2 and the Motor would get it s three phase power from the U/T1 V/T2 and W/T3 terminals and get your forward reverse from the control circuits from one of s1 to s7 and set your brake parameter to coast to stop and receive it s signal from the control circuits from the lathe wire d to the control circuits on the vfd. Hmm I totally respect what you say. I am in the dark at times here. I Start to feel better about it and then realize how far off I am. I Need to absorb what you have stated and relate it with the manual and the lathes manual I have to move the lathe to get a good picture but I will and the schematics as well. It may be on the wkend as I am at crunch time at work and wont be home at a decent time and may have to work the wkend. I Would be crazy not to. I read what you said and responded without really going through it properly to understand it. I appreciate everything
I am going to auto tune though. I Think it is worth it and like you said it will be smoother and isnt that what we are after. I probably won t use the coolant pump all that much but when it s needed it really does help and this is a bit more than a hobby for me, maybe a mid life crisis and will definetly have an electrician there with me.

Last edited:
Mksj I see what your saying now after going through it a few times with the manuals. As soon as I have time to get the lathe out from the wall to be able to get the panel door opened enough I ll get some pictures. You have helped so many on this forum and I really wanted to try to not bother you but I must admit winter is moving in and it s been sitting long enough and It needs to get it s juices flowing. Too much moneynsitting there and it s not a good thing with the temperature swings now. I am ever so grateful!

Last edited:
Well the saga continues. Thinking I would have been up and running by now. Not so. I may have to find another electrician to help with the vfd. Having been given some very detailed information with four pages of info with pictures to be brushed off and be in disagreement with my notes until I pull the manual out makes me realize his experience with vfd s has only been to provide power and makes me a bit nervous. Anyways I thought I would let all of you know what is going on. He took the manual with him but I think I am just going to ask him if he is comfortable or not and if not I will be heading to the local mill to find an electrician with the vfd experience I need. Have a good day all!

Just raring to go!!! An assortment of 304, 316, 6061, 1018, and my favourite for it s machining ability and strength 1144 stressproof. image.jpg

Good day all. Been awhile! Still not up and running but have made some progress. Wired up to the vfd and motor and a bit of work done in the panel of the lathe. I had to stop with the electrician I had working with after arguing with him about him wanting to wire the motor up through the lathes panel. He even orded a gfci after told not too and wasted more time. I Have found someone to do the control inputs. Works at the Nuclear plant down the road and taught at the local college and very familiar with vfd s. Our schedules haven t been able to meet and complete it. This saturday we will be able to hopefully finish it up.
Everything is industrial quality and from the garage panel all three phase wiring and disconnect. Even the heater I put up is done with three phase wiring. I thought do it now rather than later when more machines are added. Not sure where I ll be and may end up using a rotary phase with more equipment.
I Started to clean the lathe up and have been pleasantly surprised to not find any chips anywhere. Very robust and smooth except for the compound slide which will be taken apart and cleaned properly before moved anymore.
I just love the one pc. Stand and how thick and solid everything is. Even the lead screw is 15/16 and the ribbing under the stand is awesome. Man it s been awhile!
Anyways a few pics.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Well finally the lathe is up and running. All controls are working from the lathe as from the factory. Still have my speed,pot. And braking resistor to add. Easy additions to make once the resistor gets here and need to make a mount for the speed pot. The only two glitches were the jog only working in reverse and a setting in the parameters to enable the frequency past 60 htz. Runs great. Went through the gears up and down with the feed shaft and lead screw working. Now to get it properly located and levelelled.
A huge thankyou to mksj for his guidance and patience. Overwelmed by his generosity and patience.
Now just needs an oil change but she is running! I can t take the smile off my face.
Thanks all for your patience and insight in my decision. Now my Journey can really begin!

Good to see you are up and running, very nice lathe. Will definitely need a braking resistor, given all the rotating mass I would suggest not programming a braking rate of anything less than 3 seconds.

If you are using the VFD inputs to set the JOG direction via the VFD multi function inputs, then connecting VFD SC via the JOG switch to the designated JOG input and program it as follows:
Setting the input to "12" will run the VFD in the Forward JOG
Setting the input to "13" will run the VFD in the Reverse JOG

If you are using the contactors to bump JOG, then you may have the forward/reverse contactors reversed that make the connections to the VFD inputs. There are a number of ways to reconfigure the JOG. You can also use a joystick to make it bidirectional by using direct SC connection to the two VFD inputs one programmed for Forward JOG and one for Reverse JOG. The will give you a true low speed JOG, as opposed to a bump JOG from using the contactors that would be at the speed pot setting.
https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...s_-z-_Indicators/22mm_Metal/Joysticks/ECX1510

The maximum run speed is set with the E1-04 parameter, I would suggest using 90Hz. D2-01 which set the % of maximum output speed should be 100 (100%) which is the factory default.

Good to see you are up and running, very nice lathe. Will definitely need a braking resistor, given all the rotating mass I would suggest not programming a braking rate of anything less than 3 seconds.

If you are using the VFD inputs to set the JOG direction via the VFD multi function inputs, then connecting VFD SC via the JOG switch to the designated JOG input and program it as follows:

If you are using the contactors to bump JOG, then you may have the forward/reverse contactors reversed that make the connections to the VFD inputs. There are a number of ways to reconfigure the JOG. You can also use a joystick to make it bidirectional by using direct SC connection to the two VFD inputs one programmed for Forward JOG and one for Reverse JOG. The will give you a true low speed JOG, as opposed to a bump JOG from using the contactors that would be at the speed pot setting.
https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...s_-z-_Indicators/22mm_Metal/Joysticks/ECX1510

The maximum run speed is set with the E1-04 parameter, I would suggest using 90Hz. D2-01 which set the % of maximum output speed should be 100 (100%) which is the factory default.

Been real busy as of late. Thanks again Mskj for your concern! The lathe has been running great. Haven t made any chips yet but have been running it in and doing it s first set of oil changes tomorrow and will have my first paying job to do. A four step pulley with a tapered bore for a snowmobile.

This will be my last post with this thread but wish to thank everyone for there time and thoughts to help me decide. I am extremely happy with my lathe and vfd! A solid machine that I Think will serve me well.

I will be around to tell about my journey back into machining. Maybe I am crazy taking this on? I don t care if I am or not it s what I want to do. I am hoping to be at it full time in four years or so. I know I have already spent way more money then I wanted to and yes I have taken out the credit card. A rule I laid out for myself. I realized to be functional and the quality I wanted i had no choice. For now I have to think outside the box to get things done for awhile and probably am going to spend more time then I should with my limited machinery amd tooling but I think it will make me a better machinist. Having worked in multi million dollar shops with all the bells and whistles is a far cry from where I am. I ll never be that and don t expect to be. Hopefully I can make it go. Anyways thanks again I truly appreciate it!!!

Back