Ready to purchase a lathe

Eisen have been willing to double there warranty on every lathe I talked to them about and way more than double on there electronics. Always had an answer, never referred me to the manual or website and willing to deal.
The five horse motor was a big consideration. As nice as it may be expense comes along with it. Everything is more expensive and I really don't need a 5hp. Three is more than enough.
The little research I have done and the few conversation I had with electricians about it is that I could either run my coolant pump parallel with the lathe motor with its own switch off the vfd. Get a cheap vfd for itself. or buy a 100$ single phase pump. Not to concerned.
I really didn't want to go three phase at this stage because I thought I needed to educate myself and feel the need to be able to do things on my own. Do as much as I can myself without dishing out money. I knew in the end I wanted the three phase and I'd be a fool to have to purchase a motor of this size down the rd. Be looking at around 1200$ so I figure it's best now and take as long as it takes with the vfd. Trying to be a one man show I need to be able to manage my own equipment and this Is one of those times where I am going to have to accept the fact I have some learning to do.
There are a few dedicated single to three phase vfds for a motor of this size but many three to three phase can be run off single. I plan on using a 10hp vfd to help take the abuse it may get with the peaks and valleys. Really just looking for a functional lathe at this moment. I even thought about the possibility of just using a three hp motor and am willing if need be but there isn't so I am pretty stoked. Thanks MKSJ for the time to post and research on suitable drives. Going to be an adventure I am sure.

Where will the unit ship from and what does that cost roughly if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I followed this thread closely, you are in east coast of Canada....., eisen is in Ontario ca?

Yes that is right KD. I am on the Bay of Fundy in St. Stephen New Brunswick. I am one mile from the US border which is Calais Maine. Eisen are from Ontario California. I will be getting it delivered to Calais at a feed store that accepts parcels for us Canucks and they have a forklift to boot. Five bills or so is the standard rate but a different situation. It don't think it is bad at all if you want to come through the border. I believe Canada has no duty on lathes thinking let it in and things will be made here now. Your closer as well. If your not in a rush shipping probably your best bet to Vancouver.

Now I have to figure out how to get it in the garage. Dig a trench 140 feet from the garage to the house. Get wired up. Cut up a Ten foot wood work bench for room. Set up the lathe and figure out the vfd. I think it may be wise to accept the fact It may be some time before I make some chips.
Any ideas on getting a 2300lb lathe in a garage. Thinking of getting a wrecker with a flat bed and another regular tow truck to get it inside and from there I can inch it around with a crow bar. I've moved around screw machines like this before. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I don't think I have enough ceiling height for an engine hoist with the straps and all.

I moved a couple machines up an inclined driveway with a come a long anchor bolted into the concrete floor. Some pipes, a few big pinch bars made easy work of it for me.

Ymmv
Rich

I have a two ton gantry crane so my lathe was simple...... my gut says that this is a job for hydraulics ...... hire a service?

Good day, Did you use an adhesive or just your common anchor bolts with a plate with some surface area?
I have been thinking about hiring someone but no real riggers and not sure about that one so still need to be creative. I don't mind taking a lot of time. I'd rather inch it and just keep it low and secure. Maybe just put it down somewhat half in on a rigid plate and use toe jacks and I do like the control of a come a long. Maybe an anchor then. In the right spot it could be base for something down the rd. for a hoist of some sort.
The shipping is actually a bit more. Caught us both by surprise. We looked into another 1440 e some time ago and both parties thought it would be the same well it is a min 800$ but Eisen is willing to pay half the shipping costs and I am in no immediate rush so a little more investigation and maybe a few more machines to come east to reduce costs. More so we want to make sure a third party won't be used.
The one thing that worried about this lathe is the costs and how easily it can snowball, but then again machining is crazy expensive. Just have to make the right choices. Who knows If I can.

My lathe is an antique von wyck (circa 1903-1908), all cast on legs. It weighs north of 1500 pounds, and I was able to pivot it using a 4 ton floor jack and a block of cedar (telephone pole). Once it was balanced on block (mid way under ways) I could slide it with some effort

Completely different from your situation as you done have expanses of space underneath

I moved my 2,300 lb. mill using 3' lengths of 1/2" steel pipe a 5' wrecking bar and a 6' J bar. I had to put some heavy angle iron under the base to create a flat surface to bear on the pipes but it moved pretty easily. I didn't need any jacks as the bars provided enough leverage to lift the machine high enough to get the angle under it and it up on the pipes. I did use an electric winch to pull it off the lift gate of the truck, I used a long piece of flat webbing through a window and out a door as an anchor point.

Back