Ready to purchase a lathe

Good day, i went across the border and was able to actually see the lathe for the first time. Eight days in transit with four different trailers . One more hurdle to go. Get it in the garage. Still will be needed to get powered up. Heading back to Ontario in a few weeks for holidays and plan to finushnit up upon return. For now i ll clean it up and level it a few times until it settles.
I realized how much i wrote and how much it took over. One of the biggest decisions in my life to take this route. Not just the lathe purchase but this is the real committment. I valued your wisdom and thoughts. You did make a difference in my decision. In the end I bought way more lathe than i ever imagined. Spent Three grand on a grinder and some jigs. Been working on the shop getting more insulation in and retape vapor walls. Built some benches and picked up a nice 1.5 hp variable speed bench grinder with a tormek jig base for it that s made in Taiwan. Have to stop,but it s contagous and need to get at least to a point to make progress.
I ll try and get some picks up when the lathe gets in the garage.

Good luck with your machine, it sounds like you are headed in the right direction.

Rich

Well I have the lathe in the garage and quite happy how things actually fit. It was a super long day. A friend of mine who is an Arborist with a Tractor with a bucket and back hoe , a couple machine skates and a long pinch bar. Super relieved it s in. I ll get some pics up. Had to work Sun.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Sorry I took so long. To be honest I thought is was going to be one of those "hey babe can I get a hand for a moment." Slicker than slick. Even looked for a place to write something and then in a flash no way get it in it s good your safe. Awesome forum Hobby Machinist.
The day went pretty good. Used two machine skates and a real nice long bar. Took most of the day. Tore up my shoulder the night before trying to finish the wall behind the lathe. Had an ice jam on the main door then rain a few years ago. Cut off the bottom eight inches Pulled the walls off and added more insulation and a vapour berrier. In a hissy fit pulling a sheet of press wood off Realizing this is foolish in the dark. Still can t raise my arm overhead on its own. One spot and its like a knife on a nerve. It is improving.
I mentioned the Tormek T8. I tell you I am really impressed with the level of quality and engeneering in there system and jigs. It puts out a reall nice edge and the four facet drill grind is impressive. I have been doing a few restaraunts knives and poultry scissors and some chipper blades with a 5/8 bevel.
It s all machining. Interesting too. For example the chipper blade material was A8m. A tool steel not hardened as I am used to a8 at 60ish Rc scale. These were somewhere around 35 to 40"i believe and made it a challenge Even though I,had the better wheel as well. 300$ and lost ten mm on a 250mm wheel. Had to set up my other grinder and match the angle and dip and dip and wait and dip and wait. The angle change was drastic from his hand ground 48 degrees to 31. Yes alot of grinding but convinced him to throw away the other two sets and buy new blades so i won t have to do that again. Sharp you bet. Ask me how I know!
After the vacation I get to spend another three grand. Yippidy doo! and get wired up and a vfd.

I'm looking at some eBay vfds to drive a 7.5hp 3ph motor I bought at an auction for $20

No project in mind yet for it but I'll let the motor drive the imagination

I bought a vfd a year ago (3hp max) and it works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i am in the process on deciding on a vfd. There are only a few true single to three phase vfds out there above three hp. My search has led me to polyspede pc1-50 or Gohz gk3000. Poly double the price but who cares If it s the right one. A,big question for me and i still have to figure it out before I buy is. Is there any benefit to using a true rated say 5 hp vfd than using a dreated say 10 hp. I believe it is amps anyways not hp? The reason being is Other than the grand and from what i can tell hard to decifer manual. The Hitachi wj200 seems to be the consistent one out there. Alot of users and knowledge. Great support and for me most important it is tried and proven. It s my first dive into the vfd world and really i just wanna ride my bicycle. Power me up let me use my manual break and gears for now. So any benefit to a true rated vs. Derated vfd. If it s made for the heat and spikes it should be good either way no?

I'm an amateur at best and don't use any of my equipment to make a living so burning up a motor / drive isn't a fear of mine

That said, I am running a 3hp vfd with one and two hp motors with no issues and paid $190 for the vfd (Canadian ).

My attitude would change if I was powering your lathe though as it would kill me to burn up the motor .

Take my experience as input but get advise from those who know!

Good looking machine!

I'm using advice re derating for this 7.5 hp motor, which is why I'm looking at 10hp vfd

Back