Ready to purchase a lathe

I've got a 5HP Leland 3 phase motor on my Hurco KMB1 running off a 3.7Kw Mitsubish VFD. It was in the mill when I got it several years ago. It was still setup for 3phase before I gutted out the machine and rebuilt it. I also have the original manual for the mill where it only claims to be 4HP. I have it setup with single phase 230 for the VFD and DC power supply (I built the power supply) and 120V for every thing else, like the computer, relays, secondary power supplies, breakout board, etc.

Anyway, my mill has run just fine for several years on that VFD. I try to keep loads under 1HP (which is a huge amount of material removal), but I have pushed it up there a few times. I've stalled the motor and caused the VFD to go into trouble a few times, but I just reset it and I am good to go again... well after I fix whatever code caused me to overload the VFD anyway. With a decent quality properly sized VFD there is no reason you can't run a 5HP lathe.

I would note that a 5HP (3.7Kw) VFD is NOT the right size to run a 5HP load on single phase unless its a VFD specifically designed for that load on single phase. All the 1/3 input VFDs I have seen need to be derated from 30-35% when run on single phase.

I also have 3 other smaller high speed mills running VFDs, and have a couple spare high speed spindles and VFDs that I sometimes use as companion spindles.

Why would I call Matt? I never bought the machine off of him. It s an Eisen 1440 ge not a pm 1440 ts. Yes both from Liang dei out of Taiwan.
It s a purpose built single to three phase 5 hp vfd. That s one of the reasons I like it as well. Theres only a few of these in the 5 hp range. The vfd will get done. It s a matter of when. If I am not comfortable I ll have to wait until I feel confident enough and want to learn and yes I will be asking for guidance if needed.
I ve ran bigger lathes with more hp that bogged down. Like I said it seems silly to me to pay as much as I have and not use it. I would have bought another machine then. Been thinking about this for a few years. It s going to be a long journey and I know that. Really don t expect to be a full rounded shop for at least four years or so. I'spent fourteen years in the industry And have a licence as a machinist so my eyes aren t closed.

It seems no one is reading what was previously posted. There are just a couple of manufactures that make single phase 230VAC input 5Hp rated VFDs, these have been previously outlined. These are designed to runoff of single phase, so there is absolutely no need to buy a larger VFD or buy a 3 phase VFD, which would need to be a minimum of 7.5 Hp with a DC choke, or 10Hp otherwise and be derated as noted. Since the input wiring must be rated based on 125% of the VFD rated output, it starts to become impractical. I real question the reliability and validity of the HY VFDs, and their claims to run at the higher Hp ranges, There documentation is very poor and they have many programming limitations.

I have to laugh but a message on the phone from State Motors and Controls Systems. Yawaska does not have it in stock and won t be available until the end of Oct. Too funny! Well Polyspede or Invertec. Invertec is made in the U.K. And the tech from Drives Warehouse highly recommenede it. Supposedly high quality. I do like the polyspede which is made in Taiwan. Both single to three phase purpose built drives

I apologize if I have come across as kurt or in a bad manner. It has been a very hard past few months. ,Lost my mother in six weeks to cancer and a good friend which is the brother of the girl I am with died of a heroin overdose at the age of forty six. I am not the same person and at my age going to be hitting fify this year life should be getting easier and more enjoyable. Don t sleep not just because of the vfd. Been along time but cant wait to get going properly. Tired of not being appreciated no matter where I have worked and really miss machining and it s creative side so this is a huge life change and man it s been along haul just to get here and it kills me with the lathe sitting there. Have to be patient and believe in myself I keep saying to myself

image.jpg
Found the Yawaska drive I am after and in stock at Galco. Waiting to hear about the enhanced keypad and cable. Hopefully all ordered and ready to ship monday or tueseday.
Atleast one more hurdle out of the way.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I ve mentioned the Tormek T8 a few times and everyone like pics so here are a few. Drill jig, planer, chipper and jointer blade jig the four facet grind and a few knives. I can take a pc. Of chicken Breast and lay it in my palm and cut it in half horizontal without holding it.

Ordered the Yawaska single to three phase drive today. Should be here Thursday. The electrician showed up at my work with my electric panel and 140' of six gauge ocean tech cable and now it sits in the garage. Going to put a few inches of sand in the trench as a base and a couple inches over top of the cable For a little insurance with the cold weather and frost and to make it easier when it s time to move in a few years. My business cards arrived in the mail also. Great day with some forward movement.

Everything is in the garage waiting for install. I never bought the enhanced keypad jvop 180 but I may down the rd. It would help a great deal with setup and to monitor the drive. It would also allow me to not deal with the setup of a potentiometer as its plug and play with ten feet of cable. I have looked at some pots and there is all kinds out there but don t know what is quality and what isn t. I would be looking for a 2 ohm linear pot if anyone would have any recomendations.
Sometimes I think this has been a cruel joke with getting it running. I can add the pot or enhanced keypad later but for now it s all there to get it running and my electrician decided to go out of town to visit his son. So more waiting. Oh well I guess I ll go work on the shop.

image.jpeg

Just about any potentiometer will work for a speed pot. You will want a 2K ohm linear pot, not 2 ohm, I like to use a better quality pot as they are more reliable then the old carbon track pots. The better pots often use film or are wire wound for the resistance pathway. You will need to get a knob for the speed pot, it would be for a 1/4" shaft. You should use shielded 3 wire (18-22AWG) cable between the speed pot and the VFD if mounted remotely. The cable shield is only connected at the VFD end to the VFD ground connection. I usually put some shrink tubing or tape around the shield at the other end so it is insulated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clarostat-5...W-1-Turn-QTY-1-RV4NAYSD202A-C43-/401403319133
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clarostat-5...SD202A-NEW-in-Box-Free-Shipping-/252732310397
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carol-C2535...n-Cable-UL-2093-300V-CMH-Gy-50ft/152622187631
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Contr...rip-Dual-Set-Screws-Line-25-New-/222321455717

An alternate 22mm hole speed pot is sold through Automation Direct, it is a 5K but will work fine. I routinely use these for both Hitachi and Yaskawa VFDs. They also have a lot of other electrical components, I purchase many their items when I build VFD systems.
https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...dicators/22mm_Metal/Potentiometers/ECX2300-5K
https://www.automationdirect.com/ad..._Indicators/22mm_Metal/Potentiometers/ECX2640

Back