Really, really dumb

when it comes off I will have 2 nice pieces of 1" by 1/4" stainless steel bar about 30" long.

Lucky dog. I had a steel rod put in my leg 30 years ago. It has to come out when they do the knee replacement.

I was already annoyed when I found out it was stainless steel instead of titanium. So, thirty years later I find out it's thinwall tubing with perforations along the side, not even a solid rod...

I wish I had the money they want for some of this hardware, A few thou for a screw, and they put six in, and if forgot the price they charged for the plate they put in my neck. And somone wanted to put more in recently.

I ask my surgeon how much the hardware cost for my recent hip replacement. He said between $3K and $4K.
Looks to me like a 5 axis mill could turn out both parts in an hour or two?

I've been recovering from hip replacement (for longer than I'd hoped for) and as such have been hobbling from place to place using a cane. When I'm not mobile I'm leaning on something to take weight off the hip.
OT here for a moment, I had a total hip replacement 2 years ago Oct 15th I have just with in the last two months been completely back to about 95% and walking pain free. Good luck with your recovery.
Been there, done that, got the scar to prove it.
CH

OT here for a moment, I had a total hip replacement 2 years ago Oct 15th I have just with in the last two months been completely back to about 95% and walking pain free. Good luck with your recovery.
Been there, done that, got the scar to prove it.
CH
Man, I hate to hear that. First off for you. What a bummer. Then, for me. I really hope I get healed quicker than that. However, since I've been paying attention and talking to others I get a sense that recovery time is usually longer than the surgeons want you to believe - by a long ways.

Thank you for your well wishes. Please don't mistake what I'm trying to say I could get around with a cane after about 6 weeks. After that I didn't need the walker. But had to use the cane for about 3 months without much pain. When got to walking with out the cane. I would have some pain if I spent to much time on me feet. By 8 to 10 months it hurt to get in my boat quit a bit. At about 11-14 months I could walk with some pain then it got progressively better. Now at 22 months I am pain free purity much, every once in a while when it gets cold it not really hurt but kind of achy down deep other wise I glad I had the replacement. Much better than before the surgery. I highly recommend this to anyone who is in bone on bone pain.
Wishing you a speed recovery.

I'm 10 weeks out of surgery. I am able to walk some without the cane, but the first 8 or 10 steps after sitting require the cane. Just got released from PT but joined a gym with the plan to work my lower body. And, like you I would recommend anyone who is in bone to bone pain to investigate replacement surgery.
Thanks for the info & well wishes.

Years ago I was starting to dial in a part using a 4 jaw chuck on a 15" LeBlond lathe. Was holding the chuck wrench in the chuck parallel to the the bed ways. Reached down and turned the spindle on! Thankful for belts that slipped when my fingers were mashed between the wrench and bed way. Wasn't recovering from surgery either...

Another time started to remove a 30" metal ring from a chuck using a 1/2" wire rope choker and 5 ton overhead crane. Hit the up button and snapped the choker cable near my face. Didn't loosen the chuck jaws! Result of working while taking a strong medication. All this was 35 years ago.

I'm 71 now and have a job shop I work in 5-6 days a week. More aware than ever of "strange mental blank spots".

Back