Really Want A Mill, Need To Convince Wife!

vincent52100

Registered
Registered
Am really enjoying using my Logan 200 lathe but there are some things I'd like to do that need to be done on a milling machine. There are a couple of special tools that I need for a vintage motorcycle I'm working. I'd also like to try some models (engines, cannons). I need to convince my wife that I can justify it. Do you think I could make any money with it? I'm pretty sure I could sell a few of the special tools on ebay since I saw one similar to what I need to make sell for $160. It was custom made. Don't think I could come close to selling enough to pay for a mill, at least not for a while. I do live in a high traffic tourist area and am amazed at what people buy. Has any body made any money selling models of cannons etc. I've seen wooden shelfs sell for $40 plus dollars. Just wondering. Thanks

Let us know how you make out using your machining hobby to make money. Commercial work can be very competitive. I work with lots of machined components (my day job) - and the actual machining work is very inexpensive. Now the idea, the concept, the design of what to machine - well that seems to be priced high. The actual making of chips - pretty tought to make money on.

I've done a few jobs for money, they don't seem to work out very well (the client figures I'm way over charging, and I'm getting less than $10/hour with a pretty well fitted shop) - no-one ends up happy. I figure I do much better by bartering and taking "future considerations".

It sounds like you have some very good ideas. Why don't you try selling your lathe time (i.e. the products there of)? If you can make money with your lathe, then you should be able to make money with a milling machine. Likewise, if you struggle with selling lathe time, then selling mill time will perhaps be a tough go. ???

Can I make money with it? I trust you are aware of all of the greats. They all were dreamers.
Difference was, they followed their dreams. Key word is "followed". Most if not all of those
dreamers had no education, most were farmers, many were accused of works of the devil.
And then I those people didn't have a dream, don't you think we would be still living in the
1800's? What was that Edison said, success comes from dreams a pile of junk with a few
jokes mixed in" something like that. Back to the subject. In the commercial world I am
comfortable, don't make millions, but I do what I do, it pays the bills. From my shop,
within walking distance is a machine shop employs about 30 people. They get $100 plus
shop rate. Ok tough to ex plane; Our shop winter time; repairing busted snow plows
and busted axles etc. Summer time bearings bushing machining obsolete stuff..for
landscapers, local boat yard marine parts. Bottom line is the customer is 'down'
needs something now. So (other than Nasa stuff) I get the work simply because the big
guys across the street even with $100 + customer will wait for six months. Just costs me
a little printer ink for small flyers I post in mom & pop hardware stores Napa, auto shops.
(not in Home Depot or Pep boys) : A good one is the town highway dept, water dept.
I target those because I know these people even went to school with some. I hate long
story's but I no of no one that cant get though to the wife- rarely some do. BUT I do
get knocks on my door on a Sundays. So I open up. Also most now, shops are
into contract production and won't take small jobs either. So go for it.
sam

edit: I too started with a screwdriver hack saw and a busted hammer

It is all a trap.

Yes you can make money with a machine or hobby shop.
Yes you can lose money with a machine or hobby shop.
What and how much you make depends on what you can do. GK1918 has a great approach that works.

You need to become business savvy if you want to make money. You have a couple of approaches, you just need to be realistic about it. Not every idea is a good idea.

You have fallen into the trap. Now you want a mill, something will follow shortly after. Get a good story line now as you are going to need it many times over.

So, be upfront with the wife and say the goal is to make money. It will take some time before that happens, so no quick returns and no one job will make you rich. However, you can't make money if you don't spend money.

A friend once told me, "All those tools". He was spot on, each one cost $$. I have spent $$, but I also make $$$ and the wife is happy.

First, the convincing the wife part. Have you machined her some jewelry yet? :angel: Seriously though, make yourself a couple of bike parts for your vintage bike. Then show her the part while looking at a similar replacement online, boasting of the $$$ you saved (do NOT include your time involved!). She may well order a CNC mill for you by the time you're done.

Don't fret too much over pricing, as GK1918 stated. When I owned a very small landscaping company I bid for my time and employees' time. This is in an area that, at the time, had a large influx of people that would pull up to your property with 10 people in a truck with hand tools, and charge $10/hour. Eventually word of mouth got us up into the foothills (prime housing market), into secure gated communities by people who didn't care what the cost was. They only wanted a premium service done well.

If you set yourself up to compete with the lowest bidders, you set yourself up to be underbid and working for free.

If there is a hobby club in the area that deals with old iron, i.e. motorcycles, hot rods, and tractors, attend their shows with some home printed bissness cards.
When someone asks about prices, tell them the trilogy!

SPEED........PRICE.........QUALITY, you pick only TWO!!

Know your limits and, know your machines limits.

As for convincing the wife......forgivness is eazier to obtain than permission!;)

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

Vince . Can you make money with a hobby shop ? The answer is sure you can , if you want to . Is it easy ? Is it fun ? Are you trying to get rich or make a few extra bucks for something you like doing ? It's up to you and the time you are willing to put into it .

My story is that I bought a BP , a saw and a lathe for my personal use . I was a machinist apprentice at the time . I made stuff for myself and enjoyed it very much . I cut all my oak molding for the house on the BP ! Wasn't long after , the word got around that I had equipment and people wanted things made . I made parts for a bag of tomatoes , couple of bucks or for free . At that point it was relaxing . Move on 11 years . The tool and die machine shop I was employed at shut down and at that point I was in a management position . Many of the sales people went into sub-contracting as they were also displaced . They knew I had the equipment available and the calls started coming in as to if I wanted to do a few light jobs . So I was young , married , had a mortgage etc , why not give it a try ?

These little machining jobs turned into a 16 hour a day " hobby ". I hired a younger friend of mine to come into my home for 8 hrs a day after his normal job , and I put in 8 hrs after my daytime job . I machined parts for most of the shops around Baltimore . It became very old very fast . You NEVER had the right tools for the job and were constantly buying them . Chips were everywhere and the house very quickly smelled like a true machine shop . We made money sure , but it got to the point when you got 1099s from the tax man , you started to deduct machines , tools , space etc. which is a real PITA . You will also encounter customers who won't pay there bills . Doesn't matter if you take them to court , they don't pay and no-one can force them to do so . I got burned on a $12,000 job when someone claimed bankruptsy . I still paid my guy and my tooling company , but the equipment owner will be the one to take the hit .

I did this for a few years then sold my large machines and packed up my expensive tooling 22 years ago , August 1993 . Boxes and boxes and boxes . I still have them and that is how I have spent much of the last 4 months , sorting thru and disposing of what I will no longer use . This past July , my friend who worked for me years back gave me a call asking me if I was interested in getting some equipment . My response was a quick NO WAY , but of course my curious side was interested . ( Bob ended up as the plant manager of the company I helped to build ) . So my NO WAY somehow got twisted into 3 mills , a lathe and that Johnson saw . I did sell 2 of the mills very quickly as I had them jammed into my garage , but I now once again have my hobby shop .

I will NEVER machine parts for a company again . Too old , too tired . My time with my family is worth more than anyone could pay me . I look at my equipment as support tools to help with my hobby of restoring tractors and anything old . I drink my beer , get a suntan , listen to the radio , cut up , carry on and have a great time doing so .

The day you make things for money , you instantly become busy . You are either " busy looking for work or busy doing that work " . Dave

And what JP stated above is very true . Delivery , accuracy and price are the drivers . You need 2 of the 3 to survive .

Last edited:
Back