Really Want A Mill, Need To Convince Wife!

:face slap::bawling::headache:
Thanks for all the replies. I don't really want to "make money", just convince the wife that I can so I can "justify" the purchase. :courage:

So , just who wears the pants in your house ?? In my household , what I say is final ! My word is king . We follow my rules . My decisions are un-arguable and I do as I please !

Well .........................As long as she agrees and gives me the ok . :cower::love:

Last edited:
I justified the purchase of my lathe by telling the wife I'd make our wedding rings with it. She's crafty and loved the idea! The rings turned out great until we found out the hard way that she's allergic to nickel.. so using Monel K500 was a bad idea. Her new ring is Ti and her finger is happy :)

I like to relate a story that typifies the attitude of John Q Public when it comes to machining. A friend broke a part for his tractor and came to me for help. The piece required a few setups and a block of aluminum but wasn't too bad. Three hours later we had his part ready to go. I didn't charge him because he was a friend in need. As he was leaving he thanked me a hundred times, because to buy the part new would be $15.oo. Although I didn't ask, I had assumed that the part was unavailable. Had I known he could just buy the part, I would have actually come out ahead if I just gave him the $15.oo. People are used to the pricing involved with mass produced imported parts have no appreciation of what goes in to machining a part.

With my tools I tend to just save up my monthly "allowance" until I can buy whatever it is. Sometimes it takes a while. I love to build guitars, and I've done a few of them for money, but only when asked. I don't enjoy doing it for pay, it's all about the creativity and the building of something for me. You could make money with it, but you had better be pretty good or else you won't make much for long :)

I just tell the wife when all the guys go to the bar after work I come straight home to work in the shop. There was a rough patch in our marriage when I did go to that bar so she sees the benifit .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I like to relate a story that typifies the attitude of John Q Public when it comes to machining. A friend broke a part for his tractor and came to me for help. The piece required a few setups and a block of aluminum but wasn't too bad. Three hours later we had his part ready to go. I didn't charge him because he was a friend in need. As he was leaving he thanked me a hundred times, because to buy the part new would be $15.oo. Although I didn't ask, I had assumed that the part was unavailable. Had I known he could just buy the part, I would have actually come out ahead if I just gave him the $15.oo. People are used to the pricing involved with mass produced imported parts have no appreciation of what goes in to machining a part.
It's always harder to accept charity than to receive help from a friend. If you had just given your friend the money he might have been embarrassed. Appreciative is better than embarrassed. You did a nice thing that protected his dignity.

Steve Shannon

What does getting a mill have to do with your wife? If you want a mill and you can afford one just get. I don't ask my wife when I want to buy a tool or firearm or other toy. I might tell her before I do it but I'm not looking for any input from her except for "cool". If she doesn't like it though she will get over it, or she won't, it doesn't really matter.

Vlad

I am a firm believer in the fastest way to turn a hobby you love into something you hate is to make it a job. YMMV. :)
Truer words have never been spoken. The tool makers in our shop have some equipment at home, but rarely use it. They do their government jobs at work and are spent by the end of the day.

Bruce

Just get the mill. It is better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Back