Really Want A Mill, Need To Convince Wife!

Just be realistic and tell her you want a mill, and will be able to save some money by making parts you would have to buy otherwise, and possibly be able to make a little money, but probably not much. Then again, you never know, you might be able to find a niche market for something that could be profitable.

Also, keep in mind that you can easily spend as much as the mill cost for tooling.... vises, rotary table, end mills, boring head, fly cutters, etc, etc.

I always advise any one that when he buys a new machine to also include the cost of tooling. In your case, you may also have to include flowers, candy, dinner, and/or a new dress.

I'm in a position that I can buy what I want, but I have extra cash because of my side business. I modify transmissions with my lathe and milling machine. But I do talk over major purchases with my GF.

Others are right, when your hobby becomes a business it's not always fun anymore. But my side business has bought me 3 milling machines, a lathe, and countless other tools. For me the best part is when a customer sends me a pic of his 32 Ford from Italy, or their 69 Camaro drop top from Germany with one of my parts in it. I also like talking with people at swap meets about my mods and their projects.

I'd say talk with your wife. If she has put up with you for 42 years so she knows about your passion for machining. Maybe you and her could put a plan together to get what you want, and maybe throw in something she wants.

What does getting a mill have to do with your wife? If you want a mill and you can afford one just get. I don't ask my wife when I want to buy a tool or firearm or other toy. I might tell her before I do it but I'm not looking for any input from her except for "cool". If she doesn't like it though she will get over it, or she won't, it doesn't really matter.

Vlad

While that does seem to work with firearms, for me it would be kind of hard to stick a milling machine by the lathe and then when asked "Where did that come from?!", to say "What? This? I've had it for a long time hidden behind this lathe here. Surely you've seen this one before."

Well - I could just get it and she would get over it but I wouldn't feel good about it. She's been able to get over a lot of things. But after putting up with my PTSD fits and moods for 42 years I just won't do that. She's a keeper!

Vincent, you've got to do what works for you. Keeping the wife happy is important. My wife and I have only been together for 40 years. I know just what I can do and can't. Buying tools and guns, not a problem. I do things that make my wife cranky from time to time but I know that eventually she will get over it. Stepping out with another woman, or something along those lines, is something she would not get over and that would matter and I would not do that. I spoke in a frivolous manner and I should not have.

Still, I think you should just get the mill if you can afford it.

Vlad

Thanks for all the replies. I'm getting a PM 25MV along with the starter kit (52 Pc Clamp Set, 4" Precision Milling Vise, 11Pc. R8 Collet Set). I know there will be other pieces I need. I do have a set of end mills but what should I get for starters? Thanks very much

Back