Reamer Education Needed

Dang this is fantastic,Ken thank you for your offer I would love to learn about reaming using your extras.This is a big step for me that I had no ideal what reaming is or what it was for,so learning what others already knew about.Thanks for the Crisco ideal along with all the other ideals

Standard reamers are built in hand and chucking (machine) types, straight and spiral flutes (with left hand and right hand spirals) in size increments smaller than .0005". If you are working with a half inch hole, depending on whether you want a light, medium, or press fit, a line to line fit, or any number of clearance fits, you could use dozens to hundreds of different reamers to finish the hole, with different results. You are not going to buy a set that will meet every long term need. It just does not work that way. On the other hand, you can make your pin or whatever to fit a hole finished with a reamer you happen to have on hand. And, you can do as I do, and buy reamers whenever you see decent used ones cheap. That is much more often than you might expect if you look around. If you put them in order by diameter, then when designing a project hole and shaft/pin fit you can pick out one that you can make work for the job. One of the huge benefits of being a hobby machinist is that you can make your project fit your tools instead of someone else's drawings.

Adjustable blade reamers are good in that they are adjustable. With pilots, they make a good choice for taking a very small amount of metal out of a job like an automotive king pin re-bush. The problems with them are that they are weak and they also love to chatter. Nearly half of the adjustable blade reamers I have picked up used have been ruined by trying to take too big of a cut, which must be tiny, and forcing them trying to get the job done quickly, and they get bent and twisted. They are nice to have around in case of emergency but would not be my first choice for doing anything but carefully finish line reaming king pin bushings or similar jobs. There are other styles of adjustable reamers, and I have a few, but I have no experience with them...

I have been grinding the magnetic chucks for my surface grinder and some of the references cite using Crisco if, like me, you do not have a flood coolant setup. For that job I found it did not work very well, at least for me, because greasy gunk sticks to the wheel, unbalancing the grinding wheel and also ruining the surface finish. But, I am a newbie at that, so might be doing it wrong... I will be trying my mist coolant setup next.

Big plus on mist coolant! on the surface grinder.

OOPS, we just too this thread off topic! Shame on me!

Back