Reamer Question, recommendations, thoughts?

Thanks guys, I just wanted info on reamers, anyone with any info on the opening questions I asked?

All of the pull through reamers I have seen are spiral fluted.

You could use a armory reamer . These are easy to make from a square file.

In the English Model Engineer magazine,there was a very long and detailed series on using a square reamer and spill.on barrels........original research to uncover the mechanics of spill reaming from over (then) fifty years before..........In England ,spill reaming prevailed ,even for the millions of barrels made during two world wars......The process ,like many things ,seems very simple ,but is far from it,even though the machinery needed is simple....In the US the process was superceded around 1900 by the Pratt and Whitney method,using the familiar series of fluted reamers.

Well looks like the thread has slowed down and run its course. I want to thank all that replied.

I have bought 4 reamers and a gun drill. John Hall over at Eldorado quoted me a price (which I thought was awful good) of 100.00 each for two gun drills made to order, (5 weeks out). I just finished my hydraulic fluid system yesterday and I am going to start machining on the adpaters to attach the hydraulic hose to the rifling adapter I made for my lathe,PIC_0592.JPGPIC_0590.JPGPIC_0589.JPGPIC_0589.JPGPIC_0589.JPG today or tomorrow. I then have to fabricate an indexing sytem for my barrels on the lathe. Then a box to catch fluid on the lathe rails and a few pieces of pvc pipe to reroute fluid from the lathe back to the hydraulic fluid box. So I'm just plugging along and we'll see what happens. Thanks again to all those that took the time and thought to respond to my question.

I set my lathe up for a gun drill, but just pistol length. I used the coolant system fist and then switched to an air regulator/oiler.
That works better but the chips are everywhere at 60 psi.
I then wrote a program so my cnc lathe could do it. Was a little tricky cause it really doesn't have the travel.
Only drilling and using a liner for 22 caliber here.
It's a boring video but here it is anyway.

Well I've been slowly moving along with my barreling/rifling attachment for my lathe. I'm just about there. The high pressure system is done, the boring carriage is done, I've got the cutter head almost done all that is left is to make my cutter...the cutter box and parts are done. I have barrel steel, gun drills and reamers. All I've got to do is indexing mechanism, a little plumbing and buying the oil. I'll attach a few more pictures. Oh I threw in a picture of the bear paw my dog drug up in Nov. I wonder where the rest of the bear is, I could use the skull.

PIC_0601.JPG

PIC_0600.JPG

PIC_0599.JPG

PIC_0598.JPG

PIC_0596.JPG

PIC_0594.JPG

Well I've been slowly moving along with my barreling/rifling attachment for my lathe. I'm just about there. The high pressure system is done, the boring carriage is done, I've got the cutter head almost done all that is left is to make my cutter...the cutter box and parts are done. I have barrel steel, gun drills and reamers. All I've got to do is indexing mechanism, a little plumbing and buying the oil. I'll attach a few more pictures. Oh I threw in a picture of the bear paw my dog drug up in Nov. I wonder where the rest of the bear is, I could use the skull.

THAT is cool. Looks like a well thought out, and executed system.
I too had given thought to this idea, but at my level of experience and ability I will refrain for the time being. I had thought to attach the high pressure system to the outboard end and allow fluid and chips to flow into chip pan and thru the lathe coolant system. Then back to the high pressure system.
My Dad used to say ' "can't" died 3 years ago'. You are limited by the limitations your own mind puts on you.
Please let us know how this works out.
Chuck

When you talk of a pull though reamer are you talking about a button like in button rifling?

Back