Reamer recommendations

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I need to ream some holes to the following diameters: 0.186", 0.191", 0.500". I need them for one hole each and that's it. The 0.186" is under-sized 3/16" for a tight/press fit, the 0.191" is a loose fit for 3/16". I have a rod that needs to slide in one part and stay put in other part. The 0.500" is to get a smooth finish in a hole.

I can buy them separately new. However, I thought I would ask here about getting a used (not abused, but how would I know?) set or lot of loose ones on Ebay to save a little money. What other options should I explore for getting a few common ones? Are used ones worth the possibility of being damaged, but still maybe getting a few good ones?

I'd prefer NON-adjustable ones; I've heard nothing but bad things about the adjustable ones.

Are there other options to get a hole "reamed out" with out using a reamer? For example, using a boring bar.

I would be using them in steel and aluminum.

Thanks!

The cheapest way is to buy individual reamers for your needs. You can also buy under/over sets but they may not include the sizes you need. You can also just bore the holes to get the exact sized hole you need provided you can bore accurately; I do this most often despite having multiple reamer sets.

You have to keep in mind that the reamer, the pre-reamer drills, speeds and feeds all depend on the material you are cutting if you intend to come in on size. Go here to review some pertinent information about this.

I have reamers .

In my shop that I sold, I had over/under reamer sets, designed for drive fit slip fit for dowel pins; it was a good investment.

I have plenty of L @ I s here .

I have plenty of reamers her bemmy . L and I sets plus hundrends of singles . They are kind of spread out on the basement floor from last winter .

If only for a few holes you can make D shaped reamer from drill rod.

I guess I got lucky, but the last reamer set I got was an A-Z made in USA off eBay for $70 labeled as used. They were clearly unused. I felt safe bidding because it is easy to spot chipped edges on a reamer, even in bad photos. So don't completely discount the used market.

Back