Reamer recommendations

I can’t tell much from that picture but.... 30 reamers for 38.00 ....even if you end up with 10 usable reamers in which you’ll have a use for is a fair deal. That’s my take. But you are always rolling the dice on eBay. The other thing is I don’t like to buy from sellers with unfocused pictures. Seems to me....if they are good quality items in good shape...then you damned well make sure you include lots of high quality pictures in the listing.
I have had at least more than one occasion where I was very inclined to believe that the seller intentionally put unfocused misleading pictures.

You are correct. I got in touch with the other teacher and he said I could borrow the reamers they have. I'll have to get the pins from him as well; he gave me most of the material, but I forgot the pins. I thought I might use the ones available at HD/Lowes instead, but that will depend on what he has. I'll have to see how the store ones are finished.
I'll continue looking at Ebay and CL to see if anything comes up. Most people think they have solid gold, though.

I would suspect the pins your teacher has will be precision ground; otherwise, why specify a precision reamer? I suspect Lowes/HD will not stock high quality ground stock.

Could I use hand reamers in a lathe? I'm looking at some that seem to be straight fluted, not tapered, but they are listed as "hand reamers". They have the square part on the end for putting them in a tap handle. Here's a picture:

reamers temp.jpg

pretty sure I have those sizes or close to them if you want to borrow them. All mine bar one or two were bulk buys off eBay. I tend to find that reamers cut a little over size and you have to be REALLY careful about drilling the hole. I don't use them enough to be well practised, so if you need to be really precise I'd do a few practice holes first.

Back