Reamers How-To?

I'm out of the house right now but I will try to get back to you about the tailstock thing.

Trying to align my tailstock. What does one do (short of scraping) when the tailstock is higher than the headstock?

How much higher is the tailstock and how are you measuring it? Maybe I'll PM you.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm working (failing) at aligning my tailstock, so when I get that done I will try out all of the tips posted above.
Just found this thread from researching reamer issues. Hope you got your misaligned tailstock issue sorted out. I had the same issue a while back, turned out all it came down to was a filthy underside of the headstock and tailstock. Once I removed both stocks and cleaned the bed ways with clean rags followed by one last clean rag with actetone, I did the same with the undersides of both my stocks. All of a sudden my Gilette razor blade was vertical instead of slanted when between centers!

Just found this thread from researching reamer issues. Hope you got your misaligned tailstock issue sorted out. I had the same issue a while back, turned out all it came down to was a filthy underside of the headstock and tailstock. Once I removed both stocks and cleaned the bed ways with clean rags followed by one last clean rag with actetone, I did the same with the undersides of both my stocks. All of a sudden my Gilette razor blade was vertical instead of slanted when between centers!
Yup. Got that dialed in a few years back. Dead center at mid travel, 0.0002 high and 0.0003 forward when fully extended, 0.0002 low and 0.0003 backward at full retraction. Best I could do without scraping.

Yup. Got that dialed in a few years back. Dead center at mid travel, 0.0002 high and 0.0003 forward when fully extended, 0.0002 low and 0.0003 backward at full retraction. Best I could do without scraping.
Outstanding! At least you measured your runout... I just used an old, dull razor blade!

Outstanding! At least you measured your runout... I just used an old, dull razor blade!
I scored a 6” precision cylindrical square for $20 a few years back. Makes tailstock alignment a breeze.

My two cents:
I was having a chatter problem with large reamers (3/4" ) even at what I considered low speed. I slowed down to 30-50 rpm an it was perfect.
I personally find it difficult to measure the ID very accurately when boring. If the ID is critical to within a thou or 2, I bore and then ream.

Back