Rear Mounted Cutoff Tool For Sherline

tharperidaho

Registered
Registered
I finally found the time to finish up a rear mounted Sherline cutoff tool holder as per Mikey's writeup and plan that he posted over on www.machinistblog.com back in 2012. It's great! My experiences with the stock Sherline cutoff tool contain enough surprises that I found myself approaching every cutoff operation with some trepidation. Mikey's tool is lots easier to set up and cuts at higher speeds with no problems at all. More rigidity, easier oiling, etc. I haven't seen or used Sherline's rear mount version, and I won't because this one exceeds my expectations. Thanks, Mike.

pictures please, Did you do any drawings as I would like to build a rear cut off tool anything you could provide would help. Thanks

Pictures please, Did you do any drawings etc, I would love to build a rear mount cut off tool so anything you could provide would be great.

I'm not sure if it's okay to post a link from another forum, so I apologize if this isn't allowed, but here's the link to Mikey's original post. It has all the particulars. Like one of the comments following the article, the blades I bought were deeper than the plan shows, so I made the appropriate modification. Here is the link:

http://www.machinistblog.com/rear-mounted-parting-tool-holder-for-sherline-lathe/

I am sure that you will like this tool if you decide to go ahead and build it.

I finally found the time to finish up a rear mounted Sherline cutoff tool holder as per Mikey's writeup and plan that he posted over on www.machinistblog.com back in 2012. It's great! My experiences with the stock Sherline cutoff tool contain enough surprises that I found myself approaching every cutoff operation with some trepidation. Mikey's tool is lots easier to set up and cuts at higher speeds with no problems at all. More rigidity, easier oiling, etc. I haven't seen or used Sherline's rear mount version, and I won't because this one exceeds my expectations. Thanks, Mike.

You're welcome!

I just cut some Delrin washers with that tool last week that were0.015" thick; came off with no problems at all. There are other uses for parting tools and this one works well for all of them - grooving, demarcating shoulder cuts or between shoulders cuts, roughing radius cuts and so on.

I hope this tool proves as useful to you as it has for me.

Back