• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

Reasons to swing the head on round column mill?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Cadillac STS

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
I'm probably missing something obvious here but can someone say why it would be necessary to swing the head around the round column? RF 30 or 31 for example.

People have added devices or alterations to make the head not swing like a square head. What are they giving up?

One good reason seems like is ease of production and ability to raise and lower like a drill press.

4ssss

Sometimes an awkward piece may hang off the end of the table, or there isn't enough travel in the table to machine the entire part, so the swing may make that possible.

TomS

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
+1 on what 4ssss said. You can also clamp a long part to a angle plate and hang it vertically off the back of the table to work on the end. I've done it and it works great.

MarkM

Not a rf round column owner yet but on the horizon. Could someone tell me if the headstock is swung 180 degrees to the back how much room is there from the spindle to the base. Have thought about building a rugged plate with travel,for height adjustment from the floor for those odd jobs like line boring or a part too big that may need a precision hole.

[6]
[5] [7]