Rebated 450 Marlin brass

Jay-z

Active User
Registered
My plan is to shoot 450 Marlin out of a standard AR 10 platform using rebated magnum brass. I could just change the bolt to a magnum face, but there isn’t any fun in that. I like to stick to the more commonly available items . So I started rebating the rims on some magnum brass using a lathe. This process works but it is very time consuming. What I am looking for is alternative method to rebate these rims or some ideas of a possible forming tool to do this type of work without the use of a lathe. Simpler the better . Any thoughts..........

Jay

You could machine a tool with the base diameter and add a cutter in the side or end , with a spring loaded center it'll turn on center with a drill to power it any case length cutter does the same on the opposite end . Holding the case when cutting can be done with a board , bore holes to case size , like five holes saw board in half through the holes and you have a clamp for bench or vise. Hope this may help

So what is your process of rebating?
I simply chuck them up in the lathe and have several forming tools that I rebate the rims with. First I turn it to diameter needed, and then I add the extractor groove. Very simple, easy, but time-consuming.

I've done several in the past by using a form ground tool that does the extractor groove and the rim diameter at the same time. I put a stop on the cross feed, and it's just a straight plunge cut.
I chucked up a die with the guts removed, then used a cleaning rod to knock them out.
I turned 50 BR cases down to PPC rims in about an hour.

I've done several in the past by using a form ground tool that does the extractor groove and the rim diameter at the same time. I put a stop on the cross feed, and it's just a straight plunge cut.
I chucked up a die with the guts removed, then used a cleaning rod to knock them out.
I turned 50 BR cases down to PPC rims in about an hour.
I feel it doesn’t get much simpler than that for people who own a lathe.

Fun project.
I took the easy route, purchased a 45 raptor barrel, now channeled to .452 diameter bullets, and modified .308 brass.
Have lots to do just getting the rifle to operate. The "blemished" upper purchased so "cheap" seems to have a centerline about .030 closer to the takedown pin holes than the .308 upper that functions on my lower.
Working on problems including bolt carrier group rubbing on hammer, bolt hold back, and magazine.

I can report that it strikes the 100 yard gong with authority.

Fun project.
I took the easy route, purchased a 45 raptor barrel, now channeled to .452 diameter bullets, and modified .308 brass.
Have lots to do just getting the rifle to operate. The "blemished" upper purchased so "cheap" seems to have a centerline about .030 closer to the takedown pin holes than the .308 upper that functions on my lower.
Working on problems including bolt carrier group rubbing on hammer, bolt hold back, and magazine.

I can report that it strikes the 100 yard gong with authority.

I looked at the 45 raptor as a potential 'large bore' conversion for my Juggernaut AR-10. Where did you get the barrel?

How about some pics guys? What exactly does the term Rebating mean in this context?
Robert

Back