Rebated 450 Marlin brass

If I was planning to shoot .450marlin in an AR-!0, then I would turn the rim down to match a .308

Now just a little bit more thread hijack, these 45 raptor cartridges are not yet fireformed, hence the bulgy appearance.
Loaded with Cheycast high tec coated 250 grainers

45 raptor.jpg

I built and have been running a 45 raptor for a while now, using 460 S&W data and the more reasonably priced .452 bullets make it a dream! My next "project" is to send my $60 XVR Revolver Cylinder to TK Customs in IL and have them cut my cylinder for moon clips, Then I can shoot 45ACP, 45 Auto Rim, 45 Sch, 45LC, 454 Cas, 460 S&W, AND 45 Raptor out of it! I did a bunch of research and really love the caliber and now Graf and Son carries the Starline Brass for about a buck a round so much easier than turning my own.

How about some pics guys? What exactly does the term Rebating mean in this context?
Robert
I don’t have any pictures, but in the simplest terms, rebating in this case refers to turning down the rim, or bottom most portion of a cartridge case to a smaller diameter, in order for it to function in a rifle, or action type that would not otherwise work. The extraction groove immediately in front of the rim generally needs to be turned down, as well.

If you do cut into a case base,I suggest you might section the first one to see how much brass is left .......dont want to be a wet blanket,but there have been some notable fails doing this.

If I was planning to shoot .450marlin in an AR-!0, then I would turn the rim down to match a .308

Now just a little bit more thread hijack, these 45 raptor cartridges are not yet fireformed, hence the bulgy appearance.
Loaded with Cheycast high tec coated 250 grainers
Not worried about the hijack. I love 45 Raptor, have several. How about some fire formed 45 Raptor brass made in a modified 30-06 barrel. I have a Raptor reamer.287418

Last edited:
You guys are killing me...I have an Aero AR10 receiver in the safe begging to get built...was considering a 450 bushmaster for an AR15 upper to compliment the 45 cal suppressor I am building but that Raptor sounds quite intriguing.

As stated by others use a form tool. It is quicker. This is from “The Handloader’s Manual of Cartridge Conversions”

Back