Rebuilding a garden bench

Monk

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The neighbor was scrapping a garden bench that she had acquired when someone else was scrapping it a few years ago, and never restored. She even helped me cart it across the street. It was rotted through on two of the moldy slats and the screw holes on the ends were pulled through on several more. I tore it apart and primed and painted the cast iron sides and and strap braces and made a trip to Menards to get some red cedar. I made a makeshift jig and drilled and counter-bored the 24 holes amd gave the slats 3 coats of urethane. Bolted back together it looks pretty good and made the wife happy.Before.jpgIMG_1217.JPG

I have several I need to fix up...good job..

Nice job , bet the neighbor will buy it back. Being cedar and coated , barring giant big butts dropping on it , it should last forty years ,, almost

I replaced the wooden slats on mine with composite boards.They should last a life time, no varnish to fade or peel with the sun. Maintenance free for life.

Last edited:
Love the casting on the end pieces.
Yeah, I'm not sure how old it was before she got it, but I know she's had it several years. It's cast iron not cast aluminum like a lot of the newer cheaper ones. I got lucky.

Back