Rebuilding My Logan 820

Interesting, mine is a 1947, so what do you make of this tag? Feb 3rd 1947????View attachment 115962
That is probably when the pattern was made and put in service. I doubt it has anything to do with when the lathe was made or the casting was poured. It also identifies who may have made the pattern, which is usually the foundry that poured the castings.

Does it have the peg leg for motor support?

Yes I have the correct and proper leg support, the funny thing about what appeared to me to be a date stamp, I quit smoking on Feb 3rd, 2001, thought that was kinda cool... and for what it is worth that dang tag and casting mark are in a location where I need to bolt my taper attachment, unless I modify my design...grr...LOL

Last edited:
On to next subject, the head stock., or rather the housing the head stock resides in...I wish to clean that up and paint it as well, but do I dare remove the spindle?

Upon closer inspection, it looks like I remove the collar on the left, loosen appropriate set screws and 4 spindle cap bolts, then IF, and oh is that a BIG if, they all move, it should just slide out???

Ok,
I have used clean Kerosene to wash the old grease out of the spindle bearing, this is the double bearing.
Now what is the best grease to replace that with?
I have within my reach the following:
Lubrimatic, High temp wheel bearing grease....(prolly NOT this one)
Amsoil Synthetic Water-resistant grease, ( I use this in my 102 year old Evinrude gear case)

OR is there something better?

Also, this lathe has no means with which to add grease to the bearings after assembly. So grease it and let it go?

What say ye experticious dudes?

:)

Thanks

Richard

Ok,
I have used clean Kerosene to wash the old grease out of the spindle bearing, this is the double bearing.
Now what is the best grease to replace that with?
I have within my reach the following:
Lubrimatic, High temp wheel bearing grease....(prolly NOT this one)
Amsoil Synthetic Water-resistant grease, ( I use this in my 102 year old Evinrude gear case)

OR is there something better?

Also, this lathe has no means with which to add grease to the bearings after assembly. So grease it and let it go?

What say ye experticious dudes?

:)

Thank
Richard

I would go with the bearing grease and work it in as if you repacking front wheel bearings. My Dad cleaned and repacked a lot of bearings in his day.

Cant tell you how much fun I am having putting everything in the head stock back...LOL I am fortunate as I , on a daily basis, have to put things back together that someone else tears apart... I consider it a challenge before all human race...oh wait..that is neither here nor there... some advice on the screws holding the plate that when tightened toooo tight stops the spindle from moving... And this is now resolved :)

Last edited:
Ok, headstock is now done, torn completely down, re-greased the main bearing, blasted EVERYTHING...used my favorite media...walnut shells. I use this media when I restore antique outboards as is does zero damage to parts and removes most stubborn paint. I had to fix the back gear lever, found the article listed here from Scott Logan. Perfect advice made quick work of this project. Also had concerns about the back gear lever backing out, until I bought the manual from Logan, saw the little kick down tab, mine did not work..... It does now so this part is 100% complete. Used LE 9102 Synthetic lubricant, it is for open gears and that worked well. Sprays liquid but sticks AND transfers to the adjacent gears. So a minute or less and ALL the gears were coated well. Here is a photoRebuilt Model 820 Logan Headstock.jpg

Back