Rebuilding the head on a South Bend 4219 1956 mill

20170919_142628.jpg 20170919_142611.jpg OK, the long title says it all, I have an older southbound mill that I really enjoy, it's heavy, only has 1 hp, but she is pretty solid and a ram head. No nod, but she does tilt side to side.
I am in the process of collecting information on what I am going to need to do to rebuild the head and replace the spindle bearings on this machine. The information on this machine is a little sparse, though, not much is needed because the machine is fairly straight forward in design and construction.
Any info you might be aware of I'd would apperciated, very interested in info on taking apart the head and any adjustments alignments I should be aware of before I start pulling her apart.

Some pictures of the machine , head and the name plate.
20170919_142809.jpg 20170919_142809.jpg
View attachment 242089

20170919_142709.jpg

20170919_142640.jpg

I'm sure they fit, I've used them many, many times.

Weldon made (2) sizes of that quick-change system. One utilizes 40 taper tooling in a 50 taper master holder. The other (compatible with South Bend VMM) utilizes 30 taper tooling in a 40 taper master holder. Obviously you don't need the 40 taper master, just the 30 taper inserts with the 'eyebrows' for the set screws.

Here's an example photo I found of the QA-50 master:

Now to figure out how to buy and transport that South Bend VMM hydraulic quill feed head on eBay... It even has the spindle brake parts I need!

It's just too far away I'm afraid... :(

I'm sure the hydraulic quill feed is nice, but I think I'll stick with my manual. The brake is nice though

Please forgive the thread hijack: First Time Posting here: I purchased one of these milling machines last month (03/2019). Mine is a Mid-1960's Model 3 Phase 3750RPM unit with the Hydraulic Quill feed and the Power Table Feed (Running through an SB9 Quick Change gearbox "Backwards" to regulate the feed from 1/4" to 15" IPM). All of the "ordinary" hardware (Bearings and bolts) seem to be available from bolt and bearing supply houses. The previous owners took it upon themselves to remove the manual quill feed lever, and quite possibly beat their children with it every day o_O ; Fortunately, there was enough left of the original to manufacture a reasonable copy:

On the mill:

Clean up and repairs continue... Need to re-manufacture the Knee and the Y Axis Gib Locks (both were bent/ damaged), The mill will need to be rewired in all likelihood. Same for the Hydraulic Quill feed - the hoses are shot. The unit was sitting in a heated basement since 1994... so the all of the oil dried, 20+ years of dust and a thin film of nicotine sludge accumulated while it was idle... lots of elbow grease and very likely an angle grinder with a wire wheel to strip the worst parts of it clean.

Attachments

• 20190422_102651.jpg
    20190422_102651.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 2
Nice job. If you need pics or measurements let me know. I dont have the powerfeeds, though.

Good to see another SB VM out there! I see you have the spindle lock that mine lacks. I don't have any of the factory power feeds either. Mine does have a retro-fitted Servo powerfeeder for the X axis.

2017-09-19 21.10.22.jpg

What size table is on your machine? Nice job on the replacement handle, too. Hope it doesn't indicate misuse. Post some more photos, please!

Thank you: My mill has a 42" table. I honestly think the mangled quill handle is a result of a design shortfall. The clutch on the right side quill feed engages both the quill handle and the hydraulic quill feed; there is a separate clutch on the left hand side for the Hydraulic unit. If you don't explicitly disengage the Hydraulic Feed on the left side, it can then "drive" the quill handle/boss in addition to the quill. The Hydraulic Pump Motor is set for 300PSI and the piston is ~1-7/8" diameter... which means there is around ~850 Lbs. of down force if the quill handle were to be engaged and the quill handle encountered an obstacle... and that could be bad. Another thing that bothers me is that the Hydraulic downfeed has no limiting mechanism. Machines of that day were not designed to be operated by fools.

This thread reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask. Opinions, please:

My SB VM is missing the spring behind the quill handle that keeps the dowel pins engaged with the quill feed input. See the photo below (not my machine):

SB VM Quill Feed.jpg

I've considered replacing mine, but perhaps is was removed by the previous owner on purpose? Do you have one of these springs on your quill handle? Is it helpful?

I have been thinking of doing my own powerfeed. Something with a DC motor and arduino to set feed rate and depth. Still a bunch more things before that though.

I'm going by memory here, I have a brass knob on the end where the spring ends. That I can turn in and lock my quill handle to use the fine adjustment handle.

Back