Rebuilding the head on a South Bend 4219 1956 mill

20170919_142628.jpg 20170919_142611.jpg OK, the long title says it all, I have an older southbound mill that I really enjoy, it's heavy, only has 1 hp, but she is pretty solid and a ram head. No nod, but she does tilt side to side.
I am in the process of collecting information on what I am going to need to do to rebuild the head and replace the spindle bearings on this machine. The information on this machine is a little sparse, though, not much is needed because the machine is fairly straight forward in design and construction.
Any info you might be aware of I'd would apperciated, very interested in info on taking apart the head and any adjustments alignments I should be aware of before I start pulling her apart.

Some pictures of the machine , head and the name plate.
20170919_142809.jpg 20170919_142809.jpg
View attachment 242089

20170919_142709.jpg

20170919_142640.jpg

Sorry don't know much about a south bend mill, I know a little about southbound miles though :grin:
Kidding aside, looks like a nice mill , what size is the table, 1ph ?.

Hey Derrick, the table is 9x42, 1800lbs, 220v 1phase
While it's not as powerful as many of the bench units coming out of China, she is about 1000lbs heavier, and way more rigid lol
With the spindle able to go up to 3750rpms, I am thinking the spindle bearing should be class 5, just guessing though.

It's hopefully my winter project, I want to get all the things I left alone the first time I went thru and cleaned her up... I was a bit timid about tearing her down then, now I want to.

Rich

While it's not as powerful as many of the bench units coming out of China
Do not believe that until you check the wattage of your motor compared to the Chinese ones. There are 746 watts to one horsepower, a simple arithmetic conversion from one system to another for the same property. Some Chinese motors reach 1 horsepower on less than 746 watts, by FM, I guess (f'ing magic.) My Millrite mill motor is rated at a measly 3/4 HP, but the USA GE motor data plate says 6.5 amps at 230 volts, which comes out to 1495 watts. 1495 watts would be called 2 HP on a Chinese motor, quite possibly more. We are talking Shetland ponies vs. Clydesdales here...

B
Bob,

you may be defaming Shetland ponies, comparing them to the little Chinese horses..............

neat looking mill

Ok, I found a manual on vintage machinery.org that at least gives me a basic idea of the parts break down. I'll be studying that a bit to get a better idea what I need to do.

Last edited:
Bob, by your math, we each have a 2hp Chinese certified mill than. I've never felt I absolutely had to have more. I might be a little less timid purchasing 2"-3" indexable facemills now...
Rich

She is a keeper, I bought her back in 2013 and been playing around with her since. I just put a taper 30 to er40 collect holder on her and she is much better than she was before. She is making some noise when putting medium pressure on her, some of it are bushings on the pulleys, the rest is in the spindle area.
One way or another, I'd like to bring her as close to 100% in mechanical as possible.

Ud, thanks for the walk thru in the other thread, I'll be poking around and getting familar with her and building some confidence over the coming weeks and months. I'm a bit nervous, I have a couple lathes but only 1 mill, hate to be without her.

Back