Rebuilt Craftsman Air Compressor

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Rebuilt a 30 gal air compressor a friend wanted out of his garage. He said it held pressure up to 40 psi. He said it had been used a few hours over several years. Gave him $50 and hauled it home.

I tore the head down and discovered that it needed a new reed valve. Ordered one for $8 free shipping on eBay. Swung by HF and picked up a couple of wheels for it...he had it lagged to a small pallet it was shipped on when he bought it. A couple of rubber bumpers for $8 too. I didn'thave the right hardware on hand so I begrudingly handed over $15 in nuts and bolts at Ace.

When I was putting it back together, I noticed the oring seals were a little rough. I splurged and order the compression ring and seal kit for $40 free shipping.

So, today I completed all the work and tallied it up. About $120 total I have an almost new air compressor. I immediately built pressure to 90 psi and held it until I was ready to use it.

IMG-5539.JPG

Nice save. I'm lost without an air compressor. The most handy tool in the shop.

Roy

good stuff. don't forget to check that the drain valve works, and to regularly drain water from the tank...

I had one of those. they are ok for occasional use but not heavy use. I rebuilt mine twice then got an oiled compressor.

I would agree they are for light duty use only. I've had a similar model going on 30 years. About 5 years ago we decided to replace the ceramic tile on our screen porch. The tile company wanted $1,000.00 to remove the old tile. I decided since I already had a pneumatic hammer drill and compressor I'd take on the job myself, Bad Idea.

The hammer drill consumed so much air the compressor was running almost continually. After about half a hour it wouldn't keep up. When I went to check it out the compressor head had gotten so hot it melted the plastic line to the pressure switch. So much for that idea. I eventually retired the compressor to the basement shop and replaced it with a Kellogg 2 stage machine that could pump up to 150 psi.

Rather than ruin the compressor I went to Menards and purchased a Bosch SDS Max corded hammer drill. I was a bit shocked at the price tag of $599.00, but when I got to the counter it rang up at a little over $299.00 plus tax. As it turned out Bosch was offering 50% off on that particular model, and Menards was having one of their 11% off sales. I got another $32.95 back in the form of a rebate check.

I still have the drill today and it gets used more extensively than I would have imagined.

Here's what I did with mine that needed rebuilding:

Before (essentially):
IMG_0004.JPG

After:
IMG_0076.JPG

Now it's unquestionably the most essential piece of equipment in the shop/farm/whole household:
IMG_0086.JPG

Regards,
Terry

Turned out nice. Good job. Phil

Turned out nice. Good job. Phil
Y'all (that's Southern for 'you', either singular or plural) need to understand what a compliment this is! Phil (lordbeezer) is the undisputed champion of making grills, cookers and smokers. Thanks, Phil, for the kind words. And I couldn't have done it without your expert assistance.

Regards,
Terry

You took my back woods ideas and went up a few levels..again great job..happy smoking..

Reactions: tjb
Back