[4]

rebuilt ford 302 1970 model

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
heres a 302 ford me and son rebuilt it was his first one so dad kinda gave a hand lol:biggrin:Mac

Picture 305.jpg

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
i here ya there Jerry:biggrin:Mac its going into a 68 f100 as soon as we get the c4 rebuilt we updated the truck to disc brakes and a rearend out of a granda that way it wont hurt him to bad on gas:biggrin:

tkingmo

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I had a 77 Bronco and it had the 302 in it. Sweet running engine; your looks good.

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
thank you guys, we are proud of it:biggrin:Mac

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
very nice work there them look great, we are taking our time on this since i cant move like i used to but i tell my son the truck will look like the time you put in it, so far its been going good, we put a updated steering colum in it which i had to shorten before i found out a 72 would have bolted right up lol:biggrin:Mac

racecar builder

Registered
Registered
irish

i think you're trying to deestract our attention from that motor!:)

are there 2 barrel and 4 barrel heads for 302?

what i'm getting at is do you have small port valves and

ports to go with 2 barrel intake and carb?

Have A Nice Day!

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
this motor is all original it came from the factory with 2 barrel carb and a c4, this is not a 302 boss, when we pulled the engine it had 93000 miles we bored her out 10 over new cast pistons had the rods reconditioned, had the block line bored for the new crank mains and rod bearings, new cam just a tad above stock new lifters new cam bearings new valve seats and valve grind, new freeze plugs, the original carb was sent out and rebuilt which is a autolite 2 barrel:biggrin:Mac

racecar builder

Registered
Registered
irish

listen to you!:)

'sent it out'. wow! you must be rolling in the dollars!:)

take a look at my 'Budgeteer Holley Carb Stand'.

you see what's on it?

that's the Autolite 2 BBL from 292.

Have A Nice Day!

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
yea we sent her out to have the machine work done, rolling in doe we are not lol, but as long as he keeps going to colledge ole dad trys to help where he can, i've been around mechanics most my life and was able to call in a few favors to cut down on pricing, we have about 800.00 in the engine as it sits and i know i can't buy a crate engine for that, plus we saved by tearing it down and putting it back together ourselves. and yes thats a nifty carb stand, and if it had feelings in my hands i would have prob made that and rebuilt the carbs myself but i cant pickup little things anymore or hold on to them lol.:cool: so you adapt and overcome and keep going forward:biggrin:Mac

racecar builder

Registered
Registered
woody

the thermostat coming straight out means something about Cleveland/Windsor.

you remember what?

what's going on with that paint/coating on waterpump and valve covers?

Have A Nice Day!

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
thats my sons designs on colors lol as far as the goose neck i'm not for sure on , this is a windsor engine though, here is some pics of truck hoping to get painted this summer and yes i will be doing the painting on the body:biggrin: heres a pic of the motor thats in it now its a 351 windsor marine engine 235hp it came out of my 76 webbcraft 16ft boat but we have a prob with it overheating due to rust in the water ports to much river water i guess but once its out i'm going to have the blocked to see if i can save it, it runs to good to trash it, keeping fingers crossed:thinking:Mac

Picture 306.jpg Picture 307.jpg

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
yes most of it has been fun so far but one thing, that year had a double crossmember in it, meaning the only way to get tranny in or out was to pull motor, we improvised, we took a torch cut it out welded some flat plates to the end of the crossmember like the transmission crossmember drilled 4 holes and whala we now can pully tranny without removing engine:biggrin:Mac

racecar builder

Registered
Registered
irish

i owned a '74-76 F100 up to 2004.

a 'cowboy hotrod' not a 'cowboy cadillac'.

cadillac has all the options.

my hotrod was 390 option only and with it they made you get p/s.

so i just kept going over it fixing little things.

did i do something wrong?:)

Have A Nice Day!

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
the 390 was a good engine so much that i stuffed one in a 67 ford falcon in my early days and oh was it a tight fit but boy did she run, i really guess the only 2 engines that ford made that i didn't like was the 351 modified and the 400 they seemed not to hold up good like the other engines, i had a ford cyclone back in 73 that had a 429 cobra jet in it and it was stock engine and it ran like a jack rabbit but like some stupid kids do i took a curve trying to make it straight took a fence out and 2 Holstein cows and then thanked god he spared me, that was the last of my fast cars, the 73 upto 76 ford trucks are really sought after around here though and if you find one in good shape they go for a pretty penny, the only thing you did wrong was you got rid of it:biggrin:Mac

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
math for Hobby Machinists

was that the one with the hidden headlights:biggrin:mac

racecar builder

Registered
Registered
mr woods man

sticking with your 302.

what year?

5.0's were 'reinvented' 302's.

they were around way up to wonderful 4.6

i'm thrashing around with.

Have A Nice Day!

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
i believe it was a 70s model it came out of a torino:thinking:Mac

racecar builder

Registered
Registered
irish

retiree was selling Chevy 454 Camper Special for $1500

that i missed out on.

now there's 60's Dodge D300 for sale.

but some lady that got ahold of it some how and

thinks she can sell it for big bucks.

because old guy put lots of repairs in it.

which AIN'T going to happen.

D300 is very cool Dodge pickup. like really cool!

Have A Nice Day!

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
does it have the slanted 6 or 318 or 440:biggrin:Mac

racecar builder

Registered
Registered
irish

you just forget about that D300!:)

once that 'second party' gets involved it's STAY AWAY!

anyhow about your 'street rod' approach to your little F100.

pickup trucks i keep stock.

race cars i build from scratch.

that mix 'n match stuff gives me the heebee jeebee's!

Have A Nice Day!

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
mix and match in the older vehicles is not bad you just have the basics to deal with, take ford trucks for instance motor mounts and stands, each engine has its own, smaller the engine the farther back it sits the bigger the engine more centered it is, the transmissions cross member has holes so it can move forward and backward depending on engine and transmission size, steering from manual to power you just have to know what yrs will interchange for the 68f100 is 70 to 74, the i beam interchange is 78 79 for disc brakes, c4 is a small block tranny from a 289 or 302 of course or a 351 windsor will interchange now here comes the tricky part flywheels torque converters must match the tranny:biggrin:Mac

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
but im sure you know the ends and out because you deal with the trannies and engine fore racing, my experience in building a race car is a fireball cam or what they used to call them a holly 650 and get it in the smallest car you can:biggrin:Mac

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
but racecar i do wish i had that knowledge to build race engines, my hats off to you:))Mac

racecar builder

Registered
Registered
irish

now i'm getting suspicious!:)

you mean Ford/Ford parts swapping.

like pic.

you know i didn't hear too much about that

with your rebuild here!

no factory HD parts in that little 302?

Have A Nice Day!

Ford V8 Performance Guide.jpg

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
yes ford parts swapping sorry about:biggrin:Mac

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
Yes Mac all Cougars up in to the early70s had hideaway headlights, in 69 they narrowed down the nose and changed the grill bars from vertical to horizontal.

Jerry.:tiphat:
Thats what i thought i used to date a gal that had one, i called her ponytail and dont ask why are i will get booted lol but it was really nice car:biggrin:Mac

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
when we get ready to swap engines i will go into more detail with pictures, the only heavey duty part we put in engine was the cam it was a rv cam suppose to be good on gas, we'll see, i do like chevy too thats why i drive a 99 yukon says gmc but it still a chevy lol:biggrin:Mac

racecar builder

Registered
Registered
wood

i think that being near the big city is having an

effect on you!:)

just about every part on a rebuild has a hipo part

for a couple bucks more.

i mean like $40 set of pushrods and hipo ones are $44.

once you've done the deed and have engine out and apart

it don't take much more to add a little style to the rebuild!:)

you did good!:)

Have A Nice Day!

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
thank you racecare, the know how is not there yet and dont know if it ever will be at my age and health, its going to take all i can muster this summer to get it in and get painted, i did my daughters car about 4 yrs ago and i promised my son we would do his truck, i did do a 77ford kingcab back in the 90s it had a 460 went with a big cam roller rockers roller timing gears and painted white with red flames but i never could get it to run right issues with timing do to the big cam and the old timing marks wasnt good to use anymore, i had a guy tell me it had to be dialed in or somthing, but i did get 8000.00 for it when i sold it and after about a week i seen the guy driving it that brought tears to my eyes, but he new what he was doing lol:biggrin:mac

racecar builder

Registered
Registered
irish

the fix for that dampener.

would have been to nip that in the bud.

get good used or inexpensive brand new danpener.

check timing with engine on stand.

we'll get you taking junior for an e ticket ride!:)

Have A Nice Day!

Last edited:
[6]
[5] [7]