Reccommend me a chuck

SamI

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

I've been doing a few repetitive tasks on the lathe recently and using the 3 jaw is getting tiresome. I have decided that I would like to get a collet chuck of some description but I'm having a hard time of it.

I have settled on the idea of a 5C collet chuck for a few reasons.

I like that you can buy emergency collets for specific work.
I like that you can buy step collets for larger diameters.
I like that you can get expanding mandrels.
I like that you can fit a stop to it for repetitive work.

I don't like that that clamping range is limited but I can live with this.
I don't like that I could only get 1" bar through the back although for the sort of work I'd be using it for it isn't a huge problem.

I don't like however that there are often only two chuck key locations as sods law states that the lathe shall never come to rest with one of these in a convenient location, even on the three jaw.

So, I have been looking into speed chucks but apart from seeing a few turn up on eBay I've not really come across anything.

I am looking for a chuck (preferably 5C but I would settle for another system that does the same as long as collets are reasonably priced and readily available) that I can change out a work piece as quickly as possible. Lever operated would be a plus but ideally I'd like one with the lever behind the chuck rather than hanging out the back as this would be a bit too far to reach comfortably. The other ones I have seen are "Bjogren speed chucks" but I just can't seem to find any over this side of the pond.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

A couple of questions come to mind...

What type of Lathe?
Do they make a Collet Closer setup for it? If not, could you build one for it?

Hi thanks for your reply. That is some key information I missed out there! It’s a manual lathe with a D1-4 spindle. It’s a Warco lathe (sold here in the U.K.) but seems similar to a number of offerings from othe sellers of Chinese / Taiwanese import machines.

Warco themselves do not offer a collect closer and while I am sure I could modify another to fit it would not be my first choice as all the ones that I have seen have the lever out back which would be a bit of a stretch to reach (although it wouldn’t be too bad if nothing else was available). Also I suspect that the change gear cover would get in the way of some designs.

I’m actually back tracking a little here. A lever operated collet closer would maybe work a little better. The lathe has a chuck guard fitted that if possible I’d rather not remove (just adds time onto a job). With a speed chuck (the ones with a handweel) I would have to lift the guard after each operation which would prove a faff.

Hmm, certainly something to consider. I would still welcome recommendations though! I just can’t seem to find a lot of good info over here. Probably partly because I don’t really know what I’m searching for!

Are you in a production situation that requires that much speed when changing parts? You seem to want to avoid losing even a few seconds when switching out parts in the chuck. If this is indeed the case then a lever closer is what you're looking for.

I have used front side handwheel, back side handwheel and lever type collet closers. I have not used a collet-chuck closer. The handwheel type closers can be tiring and irritating to the hand(s) in repetitive work. A lever closer is the fastest and easiest to use, even allowing changing parts with the spindle turning.

I have a Jacobs spindle nose collet chuck on my Clausing, it's accurate and very convenient.

Are you in a production situation that requires that much speed when changing parts? You seem to want to avoid losing even a few seconds when switching out parts in the chuck. If this is indeed the case then a lever closer is what you're looking for.

If I’m going to get a collet closer I’d like to get one that is quick and easy to use for small production runs. I think it would also be more pleasurable to use for small runs of parts too but I can’t imagine the collet chuck would come out for day to day use where time taken to re chuck jobs is minimal.

Wow Bob, that shop built collet closer looks good! Pretty sure I’d have most of the stuff available to make one! I think that if I get this job I’ll look a little more into lever operated ones but if not I think this would win hands down over a speed chuck!

Last edited:
Back