Received new 1" to 2" Micrometer.

rock_breaker

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Answered an email saying it had not arrived today but later went to the post office and found a package in the box. Thought it was a Tee shirt at first but after unwinding yards of bubble wrap there it was! It is labeled Scherr-Tumico Inc. St. James Minn. U.S.A. The cast frame is easy to grip and feels like it is strongly made. No whistles and bells so will have to make a case for it. Didn't get to the shop today but do have a vitamin bottle cap that is 1.5648" in diameter. Useful information huh?
Have a good day
Ray

Answered an email saying it had not arrived today but later went to the post office and found a package in the box. Thought it was a Tee shirt at first but after unwinding yards of bubble wrap there it was! It is labeled Scherr-Tumico Inc. St. James Minn. U.S.A. The cast frame is easy to grip and feels like it is strongly made. No whistles and bells so will have to make a case for it. Didn't get to the shop today but do have a vitamin bottle cap that is 1.5648" in diameter. Useful information huh?
Have a good day
Ray

Well, congrats... I'm a big fan of Scherr-Tumico. Up until a few years ago, I had a hodge-podge of different mics and decided to "standardize" on one brand. I have a full set of the same style S-T's like yours. Black frame with polished thimble and micrometer ratchet at the end. Can't quite remember now but think the 0 thru 5" read in tenths. 6 - 9" are the same style but do not have horizontal tenths markers. 10-12" is the hollow body kind and is an interchangeable combo-style kit. In all honesty, the ones past 6" aren't used often but, I saw them at fair price and jumped on them.

Good luck with yours!

Ray

The larger ones have hollow steel frames to reduce weight; TUMICO is the "Tubular Micrometer Co." The shop that I apprenticed in had a bunch of them, likely up to or over 24" They also made tubular inside mike sets, where the extensions were hollow and screwed together, very repeatable. I had a set in my shop 4 - 40", they also made an 8 - 80" set amongst others; they did not have the breadth of product line as Starrett, but made very high quality tools.

Back