Receiving and setting up a new Precision Matthews PM1054TV 3 phase mill

I really enjoyed that week setting up my mill. I can see the same joy reflected in your work and attention to detail.... Nice read, enjoy your new machine!

Nice report on your new mill, you sure did a nice job!

Thanks for sharing.
Tim

Thanks Tim, I am pretty impressed with this machine. I checked the perpendicularity of the X, Y and Z axes using a 2-4-6 block. The vise was trammed to less than .0001" deviation then the block lightly snugged in the vise for the X and Y tests. I had already checked the squareness and flatness of the block to be under .0001" deviation using my surface plate and a tenths indicator. I was happy to see less than 3 tenths of needle movement on any of the tests which is pretty near perfect given the +- error factor of the measuring tools. I did 3 very short and crude videos showing the tests.

Last edited:
Welcome to the 1054 club! That's a sweet install/setup.

I was a little skeptical when Matt told me the spindle run out on these mills is .0001 or less. I'm a believer now.

These spindles are pretty sexy! There are a few bits in the head that I had to scratch my head a little...but not the spindle.

The head is pretty much identical to my 1986 vintage Ferro brand mill (sold) They're all a copy of a 1940's design so pretty archaic but still do the job.

I remember you had trouble with the head on your mill. What went wrong with it?

Nice mill. Now to start milling.
( my daughter lives just north in Morinville)

Back