Recent purchase of PM-932 and PM-1236

CalRon

Registered
Registered
A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

Looks like a very nice setup. Should be fun continuing on with your hobby using top notch tools and machinery. Best of luck!

Those should be fine machines for you. You might also consider finding a mentor in your area who you can get hands on help and advice from. YouTube and this forum can only go so far, and hobby machining is often a lonely sport as well...

Edit: There are a lot of important things going on in machining that you can not really see from videos and forums. The choice of sequence of operations is just one of them, comprehensive safety practices is another.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I really don't know anybody who works with these kind of machines except one guy I work with, but he's retiring soon and plans on moving out of state. May have to pick his brain before he takes off?

Nice setup! Lath is next on my list but that may be a ways off. I've had the same experience with Precision Matthews as well so far. Extremely responsive to email questions even post purchase.
I'm in the same boat as you with lack of experience, but learning fast from the resources on the Internet. Bob that as good suggestion. Need to invite you up to show me a thing or two.

Hi CalRon.
I have a 1236 & 932PDF. I am fairly comfortable with both--not my first machines.
I will be glad to assist you in any way I can. You can PM me, if you like, & I can give you my email.
I do not claim to be an expert, but more of an advanced amateur.

Best to you
Jerry in Delaware

Muskt - Thank you very much. I will definitely contact you if I have any questions, which I'm sure I will!

CalRon,

Congrats and thanks for sharing the pics. I have a PM932-PDF and a PM1236 on order right now.

Look forward to seeing how like yours - keep the pics coming!

Mark

Nice setup! Lath is next on my list but that may be a ways off. I've had the same experience with Precision Matthews as well so far. Extremely responsive to email questions even post purchase.
I'm in the same boat as you with lack of experience, but learning fast from the resources on the Internet. Bob that as good suggestion. Need to invite you up to show me a thing or two.
Sure. Anytime, Todd.

CalRon,

Congrats and thanks for sharing the pics. I have a PM932-PDF and a PM1236 on order right now.

Look forward to seeing how like yours - keep the pics coming!

Mark

You are in good hands. Matt and his crew went above and beyond to help me out, and Im 100% positive they will do the same for you. Enjoy and post some pictures of your setup as well!

Back