Recent purchase of PM-932 and PM-1236

From the viewpoint of an absolute amateur, you can get help here easily. I find a lot of my answers right here in the various forums and especially the member projects that have been written up by the awesome guys here. The projects may not necessarily be something I would build but the processes that are used are applicable to things I may try. Find a book about lathe work and milling that can get you started and make some chips!

Nice setup. I just recently purchased a PM14X40E LB from Matt in Pittsburgh. Your right about the customer service, it's second to none. I am actually headed to Quality Machine Tools tomorrow to pick up my machine. I will post a review soon .

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

Just be aware that when you put oil on the part you are turning, it will sling up on your flag.. Just sayin'

I was afraid that may happen if I was to keep the flag there. I haven't used the lathe yet, but from watching Youtube videos, you can see stuff flies everywhere. I will definitely move the flag somewhere else in my garage, want to make sure I protect it from any filth.

Thank you for taking notice and mentioning it. Nice to see others share the same pride!

I was just pointing it out. My Logan slung oil off the chuck all over my new white shop wall. Just didn't want to see you repeat my boo boo!

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

View attachment 253544

fc87440a0f3ef7af1a50bfd93a8efa77.jpg

Img_1921.jpg

Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

View attachment 253544

fc87440a0f3ef7af1a50bfd93a8efa77.jpg

I was afraid that may happen if I was to keep the flag there. I haven't used the lathe yet, but from watching Youtube videos, you can see stuff flies everywhere. I will definitely move the flag somewhere else in my garage, want to make sure I protect it from any filth.

Thank you for taking notice and mentioning it. Nice to see others share the same pride!
The mill does not fling it that high, the lathe definitely up and around. I like it keep it close, but keep it safe.

BTW welcome and keep safe. Nice machinery.... Go slow, think, think.
BTW you can turn a tool over in the lathe and cut from in to out.. so if threading an interior , you may want to turn the tool over and cut from deepest to out, to avoid crashing. It's a nice way to cut, no rush, no nerves.

And always remember there are many ways to do the same job, SOME ABSOLUTELY WRONG, but many that will do it correctly. So just because someone does it one way, does not mean another way is wrong. We all learn from different mentors, or learn on our own, and each becomes comfortable with what we have success with. The better machinists will try different ways and realize that in certain situations, certain metals, that one may be better over another.
The ones that are wrong are wrong because of safety, because of risk.. Any good machinist will find a safer way of doing something of high risk, they will make sure the part is fixed up tight, so it can't fly off under pressure. They will jig up something taking more time to make a jig to secure the piece, that it will take to actually do the cutting on the real part. This is important, because it allows for accuracy and safety. Don't be afraid to build a tool(jig) to get the job done. You'll ruin less pieces doing so.

Last edited:
We have four of the PM-1236 lathes in the student machine shop I manage for a university. They have been great machines and stand up well to the abuse from heavy handed students. I do find that we tend to go through motor capacitors on a regular basis and the cross slide nuts need to be adjusted about once a year. We have had these machines (as well as 4-PM 935TS mills equipped with VFD's) for a couple of years and are pretty happy with them. We run quick change tool posts and mostly inserted cutters (easier to change inserts than grinding tools all day).

Back