Recently acquired Atlas 10100 lathe

Despite what I wrote yesterday (which is still technically correct), I am inclined to at least partially agree with John. However, the motor shown just above is serious overkill for an Atlas 6" lathe. The 6" is rated for a 1/3 HP motor. 600 watts converts to 0.8 HP, which is slightly over 3/4 HP. Which if it can do that over most of its speed range is 'way too much for a MK-2 or for that matter, a 618 (101.21400). 1/3 HP is about 250 Watts.

I have one of these and they do have a couple shortcomings. One thing you want to keep an eye on is the belt idler pulley. The belt goes under it not over it, and the bushing tends to dry out and chatter obnoxiously. Keep it well lubed. Motorcycle chain lube is good, or you can try a light grease. I eventually replaced the bronze bushing with a Torrington needle bearing and made a new shaft from hardened steel. Pretty much a permanent fix.
The other thing is the drive coupling from the large spindle step pulley to the spindle. It's a high-wear area, and it makes a clacking sound which gets louder as it wears. The factory probably should have used two keys on the shaft instead of one, or a spline design, but they were cutting costs.
Personally, I like the ease with which you can engage backgears on this machine. Pull the collar out and pull the rear lever up. Simple and fast.
However, the spindle is short and deflects easily under heavy cutting forces, it's a compromise, like a lot of things. Enjoy.
-Mark
ps a variable speed motor is a nice upgrade for these
DSCN0295.JPG

Last edited:
I had a 3/4 hp single phase motor on my craftsman lathe and it never seemed overpowered. Over speeding it is definitely a concern but that can be addressed with pulley ratios or limiting the motor itself, these machine have sealed ball bearings which are probably less a concern than other types. The belt is also another safety feature as it can be made to slip if to much of a cut is attempted.

But, all that being said a single phase 1/3 hp motor is what's recommended and a similar powered 3 phase motor would be quite nice. The machine can be made to work well with belt changes, I've just had negative experiences with buying used motors and hate to see others repeat them.

John

FWIW, only the Atlas 3950 and the Craftsman 101.21200 had ball bearings. The Atlas 10100, 10200 (Inch and Metric final versions) and the Atlas 618 and Craftsman 101.21400 all had Timken tapered roller bearings like the later 10" and 12".

Last edited:
Well the hunt continues.... does anyone have a motor they'd want to sell? Otherwise im just gonna list the whole package on ebay eventually..

I'll look at what I've got in the shed, if I've got anything suitable you can have it for shipping cost.

John

Back