Reception Desk

epanzella

Active User
Registered
Hey it's not metal but it is a project! A friend needed a curved desk but it was a bridge to far for him. I took the project on and had fun doing it. I started out by building three formers out of double 3/4 plywood and just went from there. The trickiest part was the curved trim and moldings. For the trim I made multiple slits in the back of pine boards to make the required turns. The moldings were tougher. After 4 or 5 failed attempts to make the radius with various molding shapes I ended up using a three piece design. The inner piece was 3/16 x 1", then 3/16 x 7/8" and finally 3/16 x 3/4". Each piece was installed individually and fastened with a brad gun and glue starting with the tallest one first. The thin pieces went around the curve easily with the end result looking like a one piece ogee molding.

D1 DESK PLATES.jpgD2 desk 2.JPGD3 desk 4.JPGD4 desk 6.JPGD5 DSC_1101.JPGD6 DSC_1108.JPGD7 DSC_1111.JPGD8 DSC_1110.JPG

Last edited:
Ditto! Very Nice! I have made special projects like that in the past and can appreciate how much work and effort went into it.

Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great work!! As a woodworker long before I started messing with metal, I can certainly appreciate the craftsmanship.

As a side note... Using forms and clamps is a very effective way to make curved moldings. The wood cut into thin strips (1/16 or so) and then glued into the forms works well.
I know a guy that is not too far away from me that makes incredible doors utilizing forms and glued up strips. Doors of distinction

Great work!! As a woodworker long before I started messing with metal, I can certainly appreciate the craftsmanship.
As a side note... Using forms and clamps is a very effective way to make curved moldings. The wood cut into thin strips (1/16 or so) and then glued into the forms works well.
I used thin strips to make up the curved moldings except I used the desk itself as a form. I described it in post #1. Thanks for the response.
Ed P

Sorry, I missed that.
Attached is a picture of one of the forms that Ed uses. Fairly tight radius.

Again, the desk looks great!

Attachments

• 20190821_201736.jpg
    20190821_201736.jpg
    889.3 KB · Views: 9
Sorry, I missed that.
Attached is a picture of one of the forms that Ed uses. Fairly tight radius.

Again, the desk looks great!
Yeah I made one door like that a long time ago. A lot of work and tedious sanding but the finished product is a work of art and strong! Below is a pic of how I bent the pine trim around the desk. It was slotted from the back leaving an eighth inch of the face. It bends like rubber then I covered the slots with the
multi-piece moldings.
TRIM BACK CUTS.JPG.

Last edited:
Back