Recommend a 2" import ? Boring head

speedybtx

Registered
Registered
Any reccomendations on Import versions ? It seems to "iffy" to buy the higher end brands used on ebay.
I see PM has one that is .0005 graduations :) which of course make me wonder if anyone can really get there. Although I want to equate that to a better built head. He is out of stock at this time.
When it come to boring on the Mill, I suspect final honing might generally be in order. Manual downfeed makes it more likely to get imperfections, that was my last impression a few years back.

thanks for the advise :)

I bought the Grizzly H5678. It works. Of course my little mill is a lightweight, so I don't expect much in the way of finishes.

H5678 02.jpg

I bought a Criterion. It's OK. It does work, but the fit and finish is nasty in places. The brazed carbide tools that came with it are total garbage and worse than useless too as its impossible to get them mounted with a reasonable rake angle.

I then happened across a Wohlhaupter.... My approach has been to buy used industrial from there on, and it's served me well. Even well used and beaten up, you usually get better than import rubbish.

Wohlhaupter's are a pc. of art.

Wohlhaupter's are a pc. of art.

Aren't they just. I have a few tools of that quality - all German or Japanese. All absolute bargains and cheaper than I could have bought new imports for. My Kamakura rotary table is similarly beautiful. Look out for a Wohlhaupter UPA2. The best bargains are badly advertised items where brand or model aren't in the title or listing, but you gotta keep hunting through generic search terms and specifying Used.

Anyone with an APT ? looking at them now. more money. buy once cry once ? lol.

I have no experience with APT heads, just anecdotal ones. I recall someone on this forum who owned one had issues with sticking or something like that. APT is a US-based company so I would assume they will make any issues right, I hope.

I own multiple Criterion heads and have had no issues with any of them. All bought used on ebay but I was lucky and got all good ones for good prices. These heads are pretty much the most common head found in most hobby and pro shops for a reason - they work well and last if used properly. No, it is not a Kuroda or Wohlhaupter but it doesn't cost 4 figures, either. Most of the time, I need a head to bore a hole and rarely do I need to face or counterbore that hole so a standard head works for me.

If I could recommend only one head, it would be a Criterion DBL-202A or B head. It is well made, accurate and will last for decades if you take care of it. Even new, such a head goes for around $300 so it isn't unreachable for a quality tool.

I get fine finishes with cobalt bars and manual feed so I have no issues there. If you use carbide inserts then yes, you may have issues with finishes for larger bores at the speeds a typical mill can run at.

ok, have been looking at the Criterion's along with the APT. no decision yet. Interestingly, on ebay I see a lot with straight shanks, not many R8.
I guess then they are stuffing them into a collet. At this time I dont need the head, but want to be able to jump on a good deal.

All the Criterion DBL heads have removable shanks. Find an R8 to 7/8-20 shank and swap it in. Key thing is to find a good head.

Back