Recommend a 2" import ? Boring head

I hold the Criterion in a collet. This is nice as I don't have to care if I have the ER40 chuck fitted. I can still use the boring head and drill chuck. I have a few end mills that are the same diameter, so I can get away with not changing the collet for some operations.

APT has mixed reviews, guess it depends on who you speak too and level of use. Not what I would consider industrial quality. I have the CB-202B with their brazed carbide cutters and it works nicely. I prefer the R8 arbor for rigidity and concentricity. The 202 is a bit small, so might want something a bit larger like the 203 series. Alternative for larger boring is Mesa Tools sells some insert carbide holders that can be added to the heads.

This Criterion DBL-203 is about 1/2 list price for something new, or you can try to find one used in decent shape. Although these days beat up heads are still listed at high prices.

As far as resolution, many will list the radius resolution as 0.0005 but it still gives the same diameter cut of 0.001". A bit of a marketing ploy, and doubtful you can even resolve them down to that level.

Spider Boring the Cover.jpg

I use the 2” Grizzly boring head (#9321) with the Mesa tool carbide insert boring attachments.

thank you for finding that head.
I got it. One thing that was holding me back was I have a set of chinese boring bars.... 1/2 ". But ok.
Of course i'll need the holder but finding one that is listed as NIB is really nice.

thank you very much!

MKSJ; I owe you a 6-pack of the finest :)

Head arrived, it was as described :)
crit.JPG

Sweet. Very nice score and that was quick. Look for some 3/4" boring bars to use with it, my boring bars that came with my head are cobalt, but hard to find. Brazed carbide can be OK, I would go with C6 which is harder but more brittle. There are some inexpensive sets which are probably fine to get you started.

I picked up a nice Yuasa BH for the price of a Chinesium BH that comes in a blow-molded case with free sh!tty boring bars. Used precision is where it's at.

Back