Recommend an x axis power feed for my PM-25MV

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
I want to get an x axis power feed for my pm25mv mill and something that will install easily... Something that doesn't take up too much space because my lathe is right next to my mill and something that can feed very slow. I know next to nothing about power feeds.

I suggest a DIY unit, When I purchaseds my PM25, I found two or three threads on the subject, right here. I used an auto window motor and some 12V stuff I found online. It took me two or three tries, but it works, I can feed from 1/2 inch per minute to 8. Of course I can't remember exactly what I found, but there is stuff out there. I'm using an old (real) battery charger to drive it. I'm pretty sure a power supply from an old computer could handle it.

While I was at it, I added ball baraings on both ends of the X leadscrew. It made a noticable difference hand cranking, can't have hurt the motorized versions.

Last edited:
If money isn't a big factor QMT does offer a power feed for the PM-25. otherwise do as Tom suggests above. Building your own can be a rewarding experience.

Also, PM sells a X axis feed for this mill...@ $279.00, that was installed. wonder if its a bit cheaper if you install it.

About a year ago I wanted a power feed for my PM450 mill . Everyone I found, ran right around $300, and when installed would take up way to much room. I found a video by Stefan Gotteswinter, and kind of followed his design. I used a windshield wiper motor, a power supply from an old computer, then bought a controller off of E Bay. I had some of the materials, but the whole thing when done, cost me less then $100, and I'm really surprised at how well it works.

I'm leaning towards the Precision Matthews PM25mv power feed. It's made to install on my specific mill without doing any modifications. Only thing is it sticks out so much.

Thats what I suggested earlier, seems the easiest anyway. I thought it might be cheaper if not installed, but guess not. Unless they just ship it to you with a new mill, not install it, but I thought it was installed when you buy the mill at the same time. Good Luck with it.

Back