Recommend - Guitar Amp Control Panel

My local cobbler/key cutter also does engraving for trophies etc. at reasonable prices, up to about 5 x 7 inches, I'm planning to go visit when I can take my VFD control head out of service for a day.
One technique I found worked was to photo-etch a piece of FR-4 GRP circuit board, then electroless nickel plate the copper leaving the lettering showing the GRP, a couple of lamps behind the panel and it looked quite good! You can buy etch-resist film pretty cheaply now, all you then need is a mask (I print several times on the same inkjet transparency to get the required density of black) and a UV lamp to expose, couple of trays of fairly cheap chemicals to develop and etch, nickel plate etc.

Dave H. (the other one)

We use a New Hermes engraver at work. It can engrave about anything that fits in the engraving area, like the size of your overlays. A CNC mill can do awesome engraving with the proper cutters. There are plastics, metal materials (brass, copper, aluminum) that can have colors and many styles of fonts that can be engraved. The newer engravers are computer driven. You could find out who is doing it or add it to your list of skills. New Hermes is no longer in business but another company does the same stuff, should be able to Google it. If you have difficulty send me a private message and I will do what I can for you. Anodized aluminum looks great but the anodized layer is very tough on tooling, but wow is it impressive. Laser engraving can also be done, the frequency of the laser determines the material it can cut. I have a friend who laser cuts Plexiglas type material in colors, clear, mirrored with lettering too.

Back