[4]

Recommend me a drill chuck for my PM-25MV

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Pcmaker

My Precision Matthews PM-25MV mill is arriving on Monday. I ordered an 11 piece collet set for it, as well as a vise and clamping kit. I already have an HSS end mill set, now I need a drill chuck, hopefully a keyless one.

Can someone recommend me an affordable keyless chuck from Amazon?

projectnut

Non-Supporting Member
Non-Donating Member
I have over a dozen drill chucks in the shop. The best and most used are Jacobs super ball bearing, and Golden Goose ball bearing. The most used sizes are 1/16" - 5/8" and 0 - 1/2". Of all the chucks I have only 4 are keyless, and they are rarely used. One is an Albrecht and another is a Cushman, and I'm not sure of the brand of the other 2. The Albrecht and Cushman are very accurate, but hard to get tight enough to hold bits above the 3/8" range.

I use the Golden Goose and Jacobs keyed chucks in drill presses, lathes, and mills. Most are now 30+ years old and look and operate like new. Over the years they have all drilled thousands of holes. I would bet the most used ones have drilled over 100,000 holes each. I haven't bought a new chuck in years, so I can't vouch for the current quality of either brand. I do know that rebuild kits are available for the Cushman and Jacobs chucks. I'm not sure if there's anything available to repair the Golden Goose.

I just ran across this listing on eBay for a Golden Goose:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Golden...058616?hash=item41dc218578:g:EOcAAOSwnt5al1O2

I have a couple like it and paid about the same price some 30 years ago. If they are as good today as they were when I bought mine I wouldn't worry about repair parts. In most cases the rebuild kits for the Jacobs and Cushman cost more than a whole new golden Goose.

Pcmaker

Thanks, guys.

I'm trying to think what other "basic" mill tools I need to get.

I really want to make more tool holders for my 0XA QCTP. I think I'll need a dovetail bit

projectnut

Non-Supporting Member
Non-Donating Member
I don't know how many tool holders you intend to make, but Shars sells OXA tool holders for about $16.00 each. You can buy about half a dozen holders for the price of a dovetail cutter. The cutter comes with a set of inserts, but any additional ones you might need will cost about $10.00 each.

Unless you're making them for the fun and experience of doing it I would just purchase what I need. All things considered (cutter, inserts, hardware, taps, etc., etc.) it's going to cost more to make them than buy them. I might be a bit old school, but I usually spend my time and money to make things that either aren't available cheaper commercially, or just aren't available period.

Pcmaker

Pcmaker

Received my mill this afternoon and I think the mill vise I bought is too big for my mill

brav65

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
You can take the rotating base off and get some Z back....then mount to the outboard T-slot to help in the Y. Great machine!

Pcmaker

Any tips to get the the vice perfectly parellel? I kind of what to keep the rotating base because it has marked graduations for angles. If I don't feel like I have enough Z, I'll take it out in the future.

junkcollector

Swarf
Registered Member
I really like keyless chucks , I firmly believe a good keyless will hold better then a keyed Chuck .
But , keyless chucks are usually a little longer then keyed chucks .and space can be at a premium With a small mill and only 12-13 inches of z clearance

If you use left handed drill bits at all you'll need a keyed Chuck

GoceKU

Non-Supporting Member
Non-Donating Member
If you use left handed drill bits at all you'll need a keyed Chuck
That simply isn't true, the body and jaws on a drill chuck spin with the spindle, i also like the keyed chucks better, i can crack them hard if the drill bit is spinning. As for the maker i've have good expirience with Rhom, made in germany.

RWanke

Any tips to get the the vice perfectly parellel? I kind of what to keep the rotating base because it has marked graduations for angles. If I don't feel like I have enough Z, I'll take it out in the future.
Mount an indicator in/on the quill and touch off to the rear vice jaw. Run the table left and right adjusting the vice until the indicator reads "0".

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Donating Member
H-M Supporter-Donating Member
I've been very happy with my Glacern drill chuck. PM also sells some I hear are good.

Indicate the fixed jaw on the vice with the bolts snug. Tap with a dead blow hammer for alignment. You might want to check against the table first to ensure that the head is trammed first.

[6]
[5] [7]