Recommend me a drill chuck for my PM-25MV

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
My Precision Matthews PM-25MV mill is arriving on Monday. I ordered an 11 piece collet set for it, as well as a vise and clamping kit. I already have an HSS end mill set, now I need a drill chuck, hopefully a keyless one.

Can someone recommend me an affordable keyless chuck from Amazon?

I have over a dozen drill chucks in the shop. The best and most used are Jacobs super ball bearing, and Golden Goose ball bearing. The most used sizes are 1/16" - 5/8" and 0 - 1/2". Of all the chucks I have only 4 are keyless, and they are rarely used. One is an Albrecht and another is a Cushman, and I'm not sure of the brand of the other 2. The Albrecht and Cushman are very accurate, but hard to get tight enough to hold bits above the 3/8" range.

I use the Golden Goose and Jacobs keyed chucks in drill presses, lathes, and mills. Most are now 30+ years old and look and operate like new. Over the years they have all drilled thousands of holes. I would bet the most used ones have drilled over 100,000 holes each. I haven't bought a new chuck in years, so I can't vouch for the current quality of either brand. I do know that rebuild kits are available for the Cushman and Jacobs chucks. I'm not sure if there's anything available to repair the Golden Goose.

I just ran across this listing on eBay for a Golden Goose:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Golden...058616?hash=item41dc218578:g:EOcAAOSwnt5al1O2

I have a couple like it and paid about the same price some 30 years ago. If they are as good today as they were when I bought mine I wouldn't worry about repair parts. In most cases the rebuild kits for the Jacobs and Cushman cost more than a whole new golden Goose.

Thanks, guys.

I'm trying to think what other "basic" mill tools I need to get.

I really want to make more tool holders for my 0XA QCTP. I think I'll need a dovetail bit

I don't know how many tool holders you intend to make, but Shars sells OXA tool holders for about $16.00 each. You can buy about half a dozen holders for the price of a dovetail cutter. The cutter comes with a set of inserts, but any additional ones you might need will cost about $10.00 each.

Unless you're making them for the fun and experience of doing it I would just purchase what I need. All things considered (cutter, inserts, hardware, taps, etc., etc.) it's going to cost more to make them than buy them. I might be a bit old school, but I usually spend my time and money to make things that either aren't available cheaper commercially, or just aren't available period.

Received my mill this afternoon and I think the mill vise I bought is too big for my mill

vgrtFQc.jpg

You can take the rotating base off and get some Z back....then mount to the outboard T-slot to help in the Y. Great machine!

Any tips to get the the vice perfectly parellel? I kind of what to keep the rotating base because it has marked graduations for angles. If I don't feel like I have enough Z, I'll take it out in the future.

I really like keyless chucks , I firmly believe a good keyless will hold better then a keyed Chuck .
But , keyless chucks are usually a little longer then keyed chucks .and space can be at a premium With a small mill and only 12-13 inches of z clearance

If you use left handed drill bits at all you'll need a keyed Chuck

Back