Recommend me an angle finder

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
Can you guys recommend me on which angle finder to buy? Something from Amazon. There's quite a few different types out there that I don't know which one is best all around

Google "Protractor" We need to know your needs before we can suggest an appropriate device.

Something like this:
angle-gage-7174026.jpg

They are also made with rectangular heads as well as the rounded one shown above, having both on hand is more useful for differing jobs. The ruler on the one above is metric, imperial may be available, none of the ones I have came with ruler markings. General tool makes nice USA made ones at good prices, imports are also available, they are pretty decent as well.

If you want to get really anal about it, I have a C359AZ Starrett precision bevel protractor just like this one:
th

It is extremely accurate and totally cool. It has also sat unused in my tool box for years. Perfect overkill for a hobby machinist... ;)

You could cut one of these out of sheet metal. It's from Bulletin No. 35 How To Grind Lathe Tool Cutter Bits by South Bend Lathe Works which is available online I think. If not I can send you a pdf.

tool grinding gage.jpg

I have one like Bob posted as well. I've used it for cutting angles on tools and jigs. It works well.

Regards,
Terry

For grinding angles on HSS lathe tools eyeballing it will work fine

Cheers Phil

Back