Recommend Wire Wheel for bench grinder

intrepid

Registered
Registered
I want a wire wheel on my 6" bench grinder. I'll be using it for general clean up of bolts and screws and also some rust removal. I don't really want one of the twisted knotted wheels rather something a little softer. But still stiff enough to remove some light rust. Who sells a good one which will last? Maybe I should consider a dedicated grinder with two wire wheels?

I use one I got from Lowes or HD, it's still working fine years later and I use it all the time. Ditto what others have said about the face shield, but I don't bother with the apron. The loose wires just bounce off my rippling pecs. Ymmv :)

I use a wire wheel a lot....I mean a LOT! I have one cheap bench grinder dedicated to wire wheels and put one with fine brushes on one side and coarse brushes on the other side. I find I use the one with fine brushes (.011" wire) far more for cleaning things like bolts and taking off surface rust...the finer wires seem to get in the nooks and crannies better and the fact that they're a bit lighter seems that they get thrown far less than the coarse version. I always wear tight fitting safety glasses or a shield and if the stuff is dirty, a mask as well (you'd be surprised how much rusty dust you can breathe in quickly!).

I use a wire wheel a lot....I mean a LOT! I have one cheap bench grinder dedicated to wire wheels and put one with fine brushes on one side and coarse brushes on the other side. I find I use the one with fine brushes (.011" wire) far more for cleaning things like bolts and taking off surface rust...the finer wires seem to get in the nooks and crannies better and the fact that they're a bit lighter seems that they get thrown far less than the coarse version. I always wear tight fitting safety glasses or a shield and if the stuff is dirty, a mask as well (you'd be surprised how much rusty dust you can breathe in quickly!).
Thanks G-Man. I have an old grinder stored away and that is what I was thinking, a coarse and fine wheel. Is yours a 6"? What make wheels do you use?

Thanks G-Man. I have an old grinder stored away and that is what I was thinking, a coarse and fine wheel. Is yours a 6"? What make wheels do you use?
The one I use is a 6" Harbor Freight grinder that came with the house. I've been using Performax wheels from Menards (don't think you have those in MD yet...didn't when I lived there)...they aren't expensive, but seem to last just fine.

I have a couple of nice, expensive Baldors, but I keep one of those for actual grinding and the other for polishing and deburring. I have another cheap, no-name grinder (6") that I have a bronze wire wheel on one side and a polishing wheel on the other for delicate stuff. It's hard to have too many!

I have two grinders dedicated to four different types of wire wheel. For cleaning up steel without visibly scratching it I recommend using a wire wheel with no more than .006 diameter wire. They're a little hard to find in stores (they're finer than the ones usually sold as "fine") although I did find one at Coremark Metals (formerly Discount Steel) in Minneapolis and they're readily available on line. One of my safety rules is that I NEVER turn on a grinder mounted with a wire wheel without putting on a face shield first. I can pick wires out of my shirt or shop apron but not out of my eyes.

Ive been using wire wheels on my grinders for over 30yrs. Besides all the above, I will not use a coarse wheel anymore. They grab parts and fling them, unlike my fine wheels. They clean rust etc just fine. YMMV.

Back