Recommendation for hss boring tool.

D.sebens

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Hey, I have a 7x12 and have some cheap 1/2 shank carbide boring bars. They work okay but I’ve noticed in general the hss tools cut better. The last hole I was boring was 1.5 dia 2.75 deep. Any recommendations on a hss tool or some thoughts on making one? Do I really want a boring bar or do I want an internal threading tool?

Do I really want a boring bar or do I want an internal threading tool?
Easy to make either or , and to answer the question , are you boring or threading ?

I currently do not have plans for internal threading. Just thinking about boring. Do you have any references for making one? I don’t have a mill so it has to be something a grinder can make.

Boring bars come in all shapes and sizes . Sets of HSS bars can be purchased cheap and would fit boring heads for use in a mill at a later date . Home made bars are easy to make like I said . Drill a hole thru a piece of bar stock and set screw a HSS cutter in it . We don't throw broken cutters away for this reason , we re-purpose them . :)

Gotcha. I was thinking traditional boring bar style. I didn’t think about making it a two piece boring bar. That’sa great idea. Thanks!

It's actually a one piece bar minus the cutter , but you see the picture . As long as it cuts , it's a cutter ! :grin:

Yep I was comparing it to my current boring bars. In this case the shank and tool are separate.

Would keyway stock from a hardware store be fine for the bar? If not what metal do you recommend?

Not knowing what post or holders you have , square or round bar stock would work . The material of the bar wouldn't really be an issue other than how you would drill and tap for set screws . Silver solder is another option if you didn't want to use set screws . Have you looked on the bay for any cheap options ?

I’ll do some looking.
Thank you!

Back