Recommendation for semi-auto rifle?

I like the CZ 452-453 line. These are bolt action = discontinued
I think they went to the 455.
In my opinion, you get what you pay for with CZ. Extremely accurate.
Although I have a Savage 93BTVS in 22WM that produced this at 50 yards =benchrest.
View attachment 312827View attachment 312828

I'm a big fan of the CZ 452's... I have one each in .22LR, 22 mag, and .17 mag...

My .22 LR will shoot 5 shot groups at 50 yards that can be completely covered by the head of a 9mm cartridge using Wolf MT ammo.

For a rimfire semi-auto, I prefer the Marlin model 60... it is very accurate and less ammo picky than the Ruger 10/22s. Unfortunately, it is much more difficult to improve the trigger on a model 60 (not impossible, though).

-Bear

Asking which gun to buy is like asking someone which religion is the best or which political party. Lots of great replies but I if you just like plinking a 10-22 is hard to beat. If you like something with a little more muscle a 223 like a Ruger ranch rifle or any ar15 is lots of fun. ~~~
I like this response as much as any. Choosing a long gun is as much how it fits your body as what caliber it shoots. My personal favorite is the Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle. It is available (or was, last I checked) in 223, 30 Russian, 9mm pistol and a "drop-in" 22. Many "short action" rounds could be fitted, with a little finagling of course. I had to have a retrofit stock 'cause I'm so big. My wife is 5 ft nothing, the stock stock was a good fit there.

The key to me was the mechanical action. I have had experience with the early M-16 and swore at it more than I shot it. I don't like the M-16. I went through boot camp with an M-1, had some experience on a range with the M14.(a grandchild of M-1) The newer M-16s are sworn by rather than at, but my size may be a factor there. I'm 6'3" with long limbs. A Medium Tall shirt is a poor fit, the sleeves are too short. Call me a knuckle dragger, when I'm walking. The AR-15 is a civilian version (semi auto) of the M-16, to my understanding.

The Ruger Ranch Rifle has a "Williams" action, derived from the M-1 Carbine and M-14. It works, period. If it gets mud or sand in it, you rinse it in a creek and it's functional again. In the 223 action, a magazine for an M-16 will fit. It is a well balanced rifle, but has no recoil supression. With a hot round, you feel it.

I have "disposed" of my firearms, except for shotguns. There's not much left of my one eye now, I can't see well enough to aim, even with a scope. Which I never depended on anyhow. There are other similar long guns around, the Marlin 9mm carbine for one. But I personally come back to the Ruger Ranch Rifle in the end.

That's my opinion though, that's all it is.

At the risk of derailing the thread, how does casting .223 work? I know the process, but does it work well and a worthwhile avenue for cheap ammo? Or is there some weird things to look out for like like cast bullets in a glock?
More finicky with the little bullets. Harder to get full fill out to get sharp edges on the base. Same with the little .22 Hornet. But doable.
No I'd say it isn't worth it for all the inexpensive .223/5.56 out there. I do it for 5.56 as another skill set in that caliber. For the .22 Hornet, lets me load down to .22lr spec and make a quiet inexpensive load for plinking or small game hunting. I save the Hornady v-max bullets for the varmint and predator 4 legged targets around the property.
LOL on the cast in Glocks. I shoot lots of cast 9mm and .45 ACP out of my Glocks.

Last edited:
Asking which gun to buy is like asking someone which religion is the best or which political party.
This is the most pertinent statement I have read so far....
For a plinker it is hard to beat the Ruger 10/22.
I have a moderately modified 10/22, and it is the single most accurate rifle I have ever had in my fleet, minute of angle wise.
I don't shoot NRA 1000 yd, but I have owned some fine shooting hunting rifles.
A good barrel and trigger, and the patience to find ammo it likes, and that Ruger .22 will be more accurate than most people that pick it up.... :big grin:

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

You basically narrowed it down to two choices considering the #1 parameter: cheap shooting; hard to beat 5 cents a round for .22LR.

Went to my local gun store and looked at the Ruger 10-22 and the S&W 15-22. Both fine bits of machinery but the deciding factor was the S&W was on sale for $329, including a (rather crappy) scope which I will probably demount and get iron sights, The Ruger was right at $400. Tough choice.

So once again, thanks for the advice . . .

Stu

Stay away from the Marlin 60. I call it a sausage gun. You know what they say about laws and sausage. The way you feel about them will change if you watch them being made. The Marlin is like a pretty girl with false teeth and chronic gas. It looks and feels great, but the trigger is horrible and the guts are BB-gun quality. I bought a Savage A22 after I got my Marlin, and it's a real rifle with an Accu-trigger and no Marlin pot metal. The difference is night and day.

You can't dry-fire a Marlin 60 or use hyper ammo, and a good replacement trigger (i.e. not MCARBO) will cost you so much, you might as well buy a good gun to start with. I bought the MCARBO trigger because the only guy who makes a better Model 60 trigger doesn't answer emails or respond to Facebook messages. The MCARBO is better than the factory trigger, but don't even think of comparing it to a Savage trigger.

If you want to put a sling on the Model 60, you have to either hang it from the magazine, which is very weak, or do major surgery on the wood. Real 22's come with sling studs.

The A22 is very nice, and you can replace the trigger spring with a lighter one. I don't have a 10/22, but it has to be better than a Model 60.

Another Ruger 10/22 guy here. It's a great reliable rifle and tghere's all kinds of aftermarket goodies available for it.

If you already are shooting a 700BDL in 222 and 270, you might be disappointed in shooting a semi auto and spraying low cost ammo. Your 222 can be reloaded at very reasonable cost and shot at 50 or more yards. Reloading the 222 for best accuracy would be a tremendous learning experience. Otherwise, for shooting silouette or BR at 50yards with 22lr, a good bolt gun would likely get the best results. On the other hand if gunsmithing is an important part of your plans then a 10-22 or AR platform rifles would have lots in store for you.

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

You basically narrowed it down to two choices considering the #1 parameter: cheap shooting; hard to beat 5 cents a round for .22LR.

Went to my local gun store and looked at the Ruger 10-22 and the S&W 15-22. Both fine bits of machinery but the deciding factor was the S&W was on sale for $329, including a (rather crappy) scope which I will probably demount and get iron sights, The Ruger was right at $400. Tough choice.

So once again, thanks for the advice . . .

Stu

$400 Wow! I guess I’m a bit out of date. I bought my 10-22 at a pawn shop for around $100 30 years ago. It hard to believe that it’s been that long ago.

Your 222 can be reloaded at very reasonable cost and shot at 50 or more yards.

I'd say more...

My wife shoots nickel sized groups with her .222 at 200 yards... yes, she is a better shot than I am with a rifle. I'm just an old shotgunner that dabbles with rifles... lol!

-Bear

Back