Recommendation on collets.

Can’t say I have come across all the various brands of 8mm collets. But from what I have seen the length seems to the big difference. And that is easily corrected with a thick washer/spacer kinda thing. Please note the front angle reference is one part of alignment and the other is the collets back shaft diameter. If that marriage in the back is loose, the collet can be cocked, causing a solid angle discrepancy. Could be for a problem or maybe not. IMHO, that is the big difference/concern when you have an assortment of 8mm name brand wire collets in a set. Hope this helps…Dave

8mm collets come in two different lengths and two different threads. I bought a drawbar from a Chinese vendor. It has Imperial threads on one end and metric on the other. The position of the collar is adjustable. I can use any 8mm collet on my lathe.

For Brino: The size of a collet can refer to the body diameter, 8mm or 6mm, etc. Or it can refer to the size of work it holds, measures in 1/10 mm. A size 20 collet will hold 2mm. stock.

Back