Recommendation ~ Poly V or Micro V ( Gates vs Goodyear etc )

cut2cut

Registered
Registered
I'm looking for any advice which is the better Poly V / Micro V belt. Being the same ( just different branding ) should be identical in size and shape but specifically, I would like a soft supple belt instead of a rigid one. My current poly/micro V belts are from Ametric ( they may be made by Goodyear, but I'm not sure) . They are somewhat rigid and it makes some added noise on each revolution on my mills spindle. One of the ones I got from them was nice and soft, so I know its possible , but I don't know what brand it really is. I may use some belt dressing, as that could soften the one I have but I am just hopeful someone has experience with a variety and could offer a suggestion. Mine has 10 ribs with a J profile. The next one I buy I'll just get 8 ribs, which should help a bit with excess rigidity.

Cheers,

Jake

Yeah, they are a little stiff when new. I use a J10 on my B & S surface grinder and a J8, cut down from a J16 belt for my 9" SBL. The one on the South Bend lathe is saturated in oil and is very nice and soft. Started out new as a stiff belt. I'm not saying to saturate the belt in oil, but it could work. Belt life will be shorten by a bunch!

I have a another one coming in the mail so I'll try the belt ease dressing which seems to be a bit oily surprisingly. If that doesn't work I'll bath it in oil and let'er rip , possibly literally ! Lol

Thanks for the suggestions

update. I barely sprayed any belt dressing out and the belt stopped making any noise. It was actually kind of amazing, I didn't even think the belt dressing had left the nozzle and the belt went dead silent. I then tightened the belt up a little more and the bit of spindle vibration that I had was almost completely gone.

Back