Recommendationon on ER25 MT2 collet chuck

frugalguido

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I need to purchase a collect chuck for my EMCO FB2 mill. Looking around on the web most of them are from China,( not surprised), but did find a chuck on MSC from Iscar made in Israel. Does anyone have input on what brand is good these days that is quality. I did miss out on an Schaublin chuck, dam.

I’m in the market for an MT3 ER32 chuck and I’m leaning toward Little Machine Shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll check them out, thanks. I see that Shars has some too with better TIR, but who knows about their specs.

I need to purchase a collect chuck for my EMCO FB2 mill. Looking around on the web most of them are from China,( not surprised), but did find a chuck on MSC from Iscar made in Israel. Does anyone have input on what brand is good these days that is quality. I did miss out on an Schaublin chuck, dam.
What size shank is in the Emco?

I have Shars ER32 holders for R8 and for MT3. I bought ball bearing nuts for both because they appear to seat without twisting the collet on the ol' eyeball test. Usually when I use one I don't think to check runout, mainly because whatever is clamped in the collet looks to be standing still and runs without vibes. That's not very quantitative, but I don't want to feed into my psychology over a few tenths of runout at a step like chucking a tool in a collet. For the most part, under .005" on finished work is on the mark in my world. So if you'll accept anecdotal evidence, the Shars collet holders work great.

I have the Shar's R8 ER32 and MT3 ER40 in their nickle plate versions, their R8 has a TIR of less than 0.0002" in my mill, my mill spindle runout is pretty much unmeasurable, but I do not see this type in the MT2 ER25. Still I find their specs to be pretty good. I think you will be more limited by the mill vs. the chuck.

Might also check this one out which claims a 0.0001" TIR spec.

Collets will probably make a bigger difference in the TIR than the chuck itself. The generic Chinese ER collets tend to be pretty terrible as far as workmanship and TIR. techniks collets are quite good but a bit pricey, I have a few of their ER-32 and they are dead on.
Zlive are also quite good and less expensive, I have their ER-40 set in imperial, link below is for their ER25.

Make sure you get a wrench for whatever chuck you get, they are different between brands and sizes/nuts.

Last edited:
Back