Recommendations for small tap handle

I use these. They are not cheap, but I use them with one hand after starting, and you can feel (I can anyway) when to back off and break the chip. This is one of those items I don't recommend skimping on. The wrenches are cheap compared to the cost of the tap and the time trying to remove a broken tap. I'm sure there are cheaper places to buy them than Zoro.

One tool I would suggest NOT buying is a brand new Starrett t-handle. I bought one last year and it didn't hold the tap even remotely straight. Returned it to Starrett and it came back better but still not right.
I haven't gotten around to it, but I'll probably look for and older American made tool like a Greenfield (GTD).

I do like the compact nature of the T-handle wrenches. Certainly last night I could not have dealt with a Starrett handle as I did not have the space to swing a long handle.

I recently purchased Starrett's 93A and 93B tap handles. I love them. They are orders of magnitude better than the ones that came with my tap and die set from 30 years ago. I'm a newbie so maybe I'm not judging them the way a seasoned machinist would. I could find no deficiencies with them.

I do like the compact nature of the T-handle wrenches. Certainly last night I could not have dealt with a Starrett handle as I did not have the space to swing a long handle.

Space is always an issue so you're going to accumulate a variety of tap handles and drivers. Starrett makes good T-handled ones but don't underestimate the utility of a Starrett 91; the tactile feel of this series of tools is superior to most any T-handled tap driver and that matters, especially when tapping tough stuff or small stuff.

I used the following. second one is about 12" in length
OIP.jpg
afb66303-9722-4e5a-b888-6cc4ae0c6913_1.30139ed281ad7ca2cf75e39f38039be0.jpg

I have a pair of the Walton Piloted Spindle Tappers. Really like them, except the handles slide out.

1584737362599.png

The sliding handle is what bugs me about the one I have. Maybe I need to look at modding it :D

Well it does have a set-screw. I keep thinking about undercutting the handle a little, or making some end caps.

Ooooh, ooooh! I just realized I have some white vinyl end caps for wire shelving.

BRB

WP_20200320_15_20_02_Pro[1].jpg

Perfect for the small one. Don't have any large enough for the large one.

Thinking a little more, maybe a flat on the handle that doesn't extend all the way to the ends that the set-screw can ride on.

Last edited:
Back