Recommended books

A friend showed us his copy of "Machine Tool Pratices" last winter. After my old text books got smoke-damaged in my recent fire, I ordered a copy. There are some offshore copies available at a reasonable price, but I think the US version might include colour photos. Lots of good information

I just got a book today in the mail called "American Machinist Handbook" This version was published in 1940. Just about any thing one could need to know is in this book it seems. Brazing every kinda gear and thread, punching pressures, heat treat, dies. Almost 1500 pages. I seen mention of it in one of the youtube vids and found it on ebay shipped for like 10 bucks

i was searching for "The machinist's bedside reader" (3 books) through several engines. I found 2 of them in scribd.com! I very much enjoyed reading them. Pitty I cannot find the 3rd one.

Petros

Don't forget the used books on Amazon. I've bought a lot of them, some for less than a $1.00 A lot of info out there for cheap prices.

I really like "The Amateur's Lathe" by L.H. Sparey. It's been more or less continuously in print for the last 60 years and for good reason. The focus is not on production work and general machine shop practice but on getting the most out of the lathe you have, even if the methods are not the most efficient.
Another good 'un is the Warner and Swasey "Turret Lathe Operators Manual". It has a LOT of emphasis on production set-ups, which makes a good balance with Sparey.

Last edited:
I have an American Machinist's Handbook second edition. It is a bit different that the one Nels posted in "The Bible'. Mine is Handbook for Machine Designers and Draftsmen by Frederick Halsey. Published in 1916 with 30,000 issued. It even has the original owners Name, Date and where he worked when he got it. Also has the next 2 places he worked with dates on back page.

After the handbook , I recommend everyone reading the Ansi book on Geometric tolerancing and dimensioning . Novice as well as expert machinists and engineers will learn why things will or won't work . The cad cam programs will actually call out interference fits and such but most of us aren't fortunate enough to use these programs . I don't know if this book is available online . I have an extra copy if not , only requirement is return it when read . We could keep it moving around if we want too .

I would like to borrow and read that, please.

Steve Shannon, P.E.

If it's okay with mmcmdl I would be happy to send it on to you, but I haven't received it yet.

Steve Shannon

Back